Nicrew lights water resistance?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I have 3 nicrew lights that are all about 4 or 5 years old, they are still working well. The power to the lights is low voltage DC so I don't worry too much about them being waterproof. I have dropped a couple of them in the water and even though they were in the water they still lit. Took them out and dried them, still working, though I expect they are slowly corroding. If you have a saltwater tank I believe they would die soon after being dropped in the water. Mine are definitely not waterproof, and I expect if you used them long term over open water they might degrade due to corrosion. I keep mine over the glass covers to the tank.

:blush: Whoops. Mine are all just above the water, no glass or tight fitting lids on any of my tanks, since they're all second hand and ancient, with hoods and things.

Have a Nicrew light on my 57g that's a few years old and recently started playing up, hasn't been dunked or splashed too much since water level is lower in that tank due to not being balanced flat so it has a slight tilt, and recently some of the LED lights started flicking, and some have stopped working. Might need to replace that one, but I suspect LED burnout rather than water damage.

If the LEDs flicker, the problem could be the transformer rather than the LEDs.

It’s a black box which transforms the household voltage and current - in the 2 examples in the pic, from 100V-240V and 1.5 Amperes to 12V and 3.0A

A defective transformer drops the current to below what is required for the LEDs and that causes them to flicker.

Different light requires different electrical voltage and current. But if you buy a new light of the same model you should get a similar transformer which provides the same outputs. You can then test the old light by swapping the transformers. If the fault is the black box you can buy a replacement, you’ll then have a spare lights! Just make sure you buy the transformer with correct output Voltage and Amperage.

Attachments

• 20240223_115040.jpg
    20240223_115040.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 6
If the LEDs flicker, the problem could be the transformer rather than the LEDs.

It’s a black box which transforms the household voltage and current - in the 2 examples in the pic, from 100V-240V and 1.5 Amperes to 12V and 3.0A

A defective transformer drops the current to below what is required for the LEDs and that causes them to flicker.

Different light requires different electrical voltage and current. But if you buy a new light of the same model you should get a similar transformer which provides the same outputs. You can then test the old light by swapping the transformers. If the fault is the black box you can buy a replacement, you’ll then have a spare lights! Just make sure you buy the transformer with correct output Voltage and Amperage.

Thank you so much! I was thinking of getting another light soonish, I'm not good with stuff like this, but have bookmarked this reply to refer back to when I do replace the light, thank you!

Most reactions

Back