Newly Introduced Severum Has Ich.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The link pinned was broken, so I'll ask here. I am temporarily housing a gold Severum we bought last week in a 20 gallon tank. He is pretty small, I'm just keeping him in there until we can get a bigger tank, hopefully in under 2 months. Anyway, he only shows ich on his tail and fins, but it is noticeable. I don't think water stats are needed, buty I'll provide them.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
PH: 7.0

What are the best medications for ich? Other tankmates are
3 Serpae Tetras
2 Marbled Hatchetfish
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
2 Bandit Cories
2 Angelfish

I went to a fish store and they told me to increase the temperature from 80 to 82 or 83... I'll try this before medicating.

Hi there

You will need to buy an ich (whitespot) treatment as the reason why the fish store told you to turn the temp up is because this speeds up the life cycle of the parasite so that it reaches 'free swimming stage' as soon as possible (you can only treat ich at this stage).
When they reach this stage you will need to treat the whole tank, this should eradicate the ich from the tank. Dont raise the temp to any more than 82 degrees though.

Further Info Here

And Here

Good Luck :thumbs:

Okay, sounds good. Are there any medications in particular you recommend?

hi

Raise water temperature

Medicate for 10-14 days

Reduce medication when treating scaleless fish

Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment

Perform water changes between treatments

The entire cycle takes about two weeks from start to finish. Higher temps will shorten the cycle, while low temps lengthen it. Therefore, raising the water temp shortens the time it takes for the parasite to reach the stage in which it is susceptible to medication.Treatments must be given for a long enough period to assure that all parasites are gone. Watch carefully for other infections, as secondary infections often occur where the skin has been damaged by the parasite.

Although nothing kills the parasite once it has checked into it's fish "hotel", several chemicals kill ich once it has left the fish. Malachite green, methylene blue, quinine hydrochloride, and mepracrine hydrochloride are all effective, and are available under several brand names.

Dose based on the package instructions, however cut dosages in half when treating scaleless catfish and tetras. Regardless of the medication used, treatment should be given continuously for 10-14 days to ensure all parasites are killed. Between treatments a partial water change is recommended. Keep water temperatures higher than usual to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment, as it will remove the chemicals

hope this helps

JAY

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back