Newbie Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

victor1

Reaction score
Hi guys, here is my story I started out 10 months ago with a fresh water set up. It had a Silver Arowana, Parrots and other little things. Then I decided to switch out my tank from fresh water to a saltwater aquarium, had snails, blue hippo, 2 clowns, puffer, crabs and other stuff. While having my salt water tank, a car ramed into our house, Power company had to shut down our electricity and we had to live in hotels for a while. Since we didnt have elictricity everything died(I tried setting up another tank but it crashed = ( ). Well i still have the rocks that I had(Rocks are dead now) . Now I went back to a FW set up and have another Arowana with 2 parrots, they are starting to bore me. I stopped by the fish store last week and i fell inlove with the Cichlids! They are nice. Now here are my questions:

1. Do you guys have any links for more info about African Cichlids tanks?
2. I saw the Aquarium set ups for the the African Chiclids and some of them looked like they have live rocks. Are they live rocks?
3. What else do I need to have a nice African Cichlids set up?
4. Are my 2 biowheel 350 enough filtration for a 110 G tank?
5. Do i need real Plats not plastic plants?

Any other information with be perfect. I am new with these Cichlids! thnks guys!

Hi mate

sorry to here about your house, i have to ask. could you of not taken your fish to a local shop rather then leaving them to slowly die while you moved to a Hotel, or have i miss read your post.

sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick here, but had to ask

Hi Victor,sorry about the house and fish.

Keep looking at this site in the Malawi section and you wont go far wrong.Also have a look at the books from Ad Konings.

No need for live rocks as far as i understand,i use Ocean rock which has loads of holes and nooks and crannies for the fish to escape to when needed.Many use Tufa rock as an alternative.

You can never over filtrate,so have at least two.I have one internal and one external.

I dont like plastic plants i have to say,no matter how real they say on the box they just dont have that free flowing nature that a real plant has.Plants are a bit of a problem for Malawi`s as they eat them.I use Java Ferns and Anubias Nana which they dont eat.It also adds a little colour to the landscape.

Keep posting here Victor as there is always someone to answer any questions yoy may have. :)

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Back