Newbie - Help me stock my 20 gallon tank! :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smbills12

Reaction score
20 Gallon Tank -
Size is approximately 25.75 x 14.25 x 18.62 Inches

pH seems to be 7.8, alkaline.. GH seems to be 150, hard.
[Colors are close.. pH could be 7.2]

Looking for peaceful community fish. We are very new at this and still getting educated. If you could please provide a list of compatible fish and how many of each of them, I would like to get around 15-20 total! Thanks so much!!

Really, it just depends on what you like. Are you looking for small species? Cichlids? Shoaling? Bright colors? Long flowy tails?

Are there any particular fish that you really want to have? Maybe if you pick out the "feature" fish, we can help pick out tank mates.

Really, it just depends on what you like. Are you looking for small species? Cichlids? Shoaling? Bright colors? Long flowy tails?

Are there any particular fish that you really want to have? Maybe if you pick out the "feature" fish, we can help pick out tank mates.
I'd like to get a variety.. I was originally thinking tetras [neon], guppies, mollies, danios, platies... but was told mollies and danios don't have enough room.. bright colors and flow tails are all nice -- this is for my 2 year old daughter who thinks fish are just too neat! :)

If the GH is actually around 150 ppm (same as mg/l), which equates to around 8 dGH, that is moderately hard so you have more options than if it were "hard." But your tank size will limit fish; a 20g may seem large when you see it empty; I remember how huge my first 25g seemed at the time.

From the fish mentioned, we can eliminate a few. Mollies, aside from needing more space, also need much harder water. Platies, which are also livebearers (along with swordtails, guppies, Endlers and a few more rare fish), thus need hardish water too, not as hard as mollies, but I would tend to stay away from them here.

Danios need more space as they are very active fish.

Tetras are generally soft water fish, but some have more adaptability than others. Neon tetra should be OK here; a group of 8-9 would be best. There are other species too, but this one you mentioned.

Substrate level fish are often enjoyed, and they add interest to the bottom of the tank. Corydoras catfish, in a group of 5-6 perhaps? Not especially colourful, but again they do add interest to the substrate which is not always easy to achieve. A chunk of wood or two would suit them.

Floating plants are relatively easy to keep healthy, and they do provide several benefits so I would certainly suggest them. Lower plants can be fussier, and there is nothing wrong with artificial, or just using wood and branches for an authentic Amazon look with the floating plants.

If the GH is actually around 150 ppm (same as mg/l), which equates to around 8 dGH, that is moderately hard so you have more options than if it were "hard." But your tank size will limit fish; a 20g may seem large when you see it empty; I remember how huge my first 25g seemed at the time.

From the fish mentioned, we can eliminate a few. Mollies, aside from needing more space, also need much harder water. Platies, which are also livebearers (along with swordtails, guppies, Endlers and a few more rare fish), thus need hardish water too, not as hard as mollies, but I would tend to stay away from them here.

Danios need more space as they are very active fish.

Tetras are generally soft water fish, but some have more adaptability than others. Neon tetra should be OK here; a group of 8-9 would be best. There are other species too, but this one you mentioned.

Substrate level fish are often enjoyed, and they add interest to the bottom of the tank. Corydoras catfish, in a group of 5-6 perhaps? Not especially colourful, but again they do add interest to the substrate which is not always easy to achieve. A chunk of wood or two would suit them.

Floating plants are relatively easy to keep healthy, and they do provide several benefits so I would certainly suggest them. Lower plants can be fussier, and there is nothing wrong with artificial, or just using wood and branches for an authentic Amazon look with the floating plants.

What about neon tetras, guppies, cory catfish and ram cichlids? How many of each is suitable for their needs and the tank size?

Thanks so much!!!!

I agree, corydoras, and tetras.

I'd also suggest adding some shrimp or snails.

Stay away from the livebearers like platys and guppies, unless you're prepared for your 2 year old daughter to watch a mother fish eat it's own babies.

This is almost a duplicate thread - see http://www.fishforums.net/threads/u...of-each-should-i-get-for-my-20-gallon.448348/

No to guppies, they need harder water.
Rams need softer water and higher temperatures than most other fish. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/mikrogeophagus-ramirezi/

If this was my tank, I would be looking at 3 shoals - one of cories (all the same species, not a mixture), and one each of two different tetra species.

That is my thread too... started a new one since I had a lot of info I could put together instead of spread out in the thread. Thanks for your suggestions!! Means the world to me!! :)

This is almost a duplicate thread - see http://www.fishforums.net/threads/u...of-each-should-i-get-for-my-20-gallon.448348/

No to guppies, they need harder water.
Rams need softer water and higher temperatures than most other fish. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/mikrogeophagus-ramirezi/

If this was my tank, I would be looking at 3 shoals - one of cories (all the same species, not a mixture), and one each of two different tetra species.

So, how many cories and tetras can I put in and keep them happy??

First of all read through that link, it gives a step by step guide on how to cycle a tank. You will need a bottle of ammonia, and an ammonia tester if your test strips don't include that. Then just follow that method. As it will take a few weeks to cycle the tank you have plenty time to finalise your wish list.

The other alternative is to buy some live plants, and wait until you are sure they are thriving and not dying. This won't take as long as fishless cycling, but you still have a couple of weeks to finalise the list.

Please do not get any fish until you have done one of those two things or you will find yourself doing a lot of water changes (at least once a day) to keep the fish alive.

I'd agree with @Byron on neon tetras with some corydoras. Note that Corydoras do need a sandy substrate rather than gravel. Please also read http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first as it will save you, and your new fish, a lot of stress if you get this right upfront. Neither of these like bright lights so the suggestion of floating plants will make them feel more at home.

While it may be tempting to go for variety tetras make a far better display in larger numbers. The standard suggestion is 6 for each species but I much prefer them in groups of 12 - 18. if you follow Byron's initial stocking suggestion you could add a second group of 8 or 9 Neons after a couple of months if everything goes well.

Most reactions

Back