New to freshwater community tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Pixburgh29

Reaction score
Hi all! I am a newbie when it comes to all things surrounding freshwater community tanks. I have several years of saltwater, reef, and various cichlid knowledge/experience but NONE when it comes to putting together a harmonious freshwater community tank. Seems a bit silly, I know - so I landed here in hopes to get educated! I am in the process of turning a former smaller saltwater reef tank into this desired freshwater community tank so the cleanup is going to take a while. I'm hoping that will give me plenty of time to research and learn some tips to avoid those pesky rookie mistakes if possible. I am very open to all suggestions so let them fly.

Tank - 90 Gallons
Requirements - Peaceful or low end semi-aggressive. Color! & perhaps a school or two? (this tank is in my twins' playroom).
Special notes - I would really LOVE to house some shrimp. Is it possible?? If not here, I can make a species only tank but it would be great to be able to incorporate them somehow in this build (I have a special place in my heart for bottom dwellers & cleaners!)

Thanks in advance for all tips/tricks/suggestions!

Welcome to the forum! You'll find more help here than you'll know what to do with. :lol:

If I were putting together a low-maintenance community tank, the first thing I'd want to know is water hardness. You can find this out from your water provider, or get a test kit. Some fish aren't picky, but lots of the best community fish have a definite preference for hard or soft water.

90 gallons gives you tons of possibilities. Since you have some previous experience, I'll assume you know the basics of cycling, plants, filtration, lighting, etc. If not let us know and we'll fill you in. Are you planning a planted tank? I always advise plants--they are a bit more work on the front end, but they make for a happier and healthier ecosystem. If you have saltwater experience, I'm sure you won't be daunted.

Shrimp should be doable. The best all-around shrimp for my money is the amano: Durable, adaptable, easy to find, interesting to watch, big enough that most community fish won't eat it, and they eat most forms of algae like candy.

So figure out your hardness, let us know what you have for filtration and lighting, and we'll go from there.

Welcome to the forum! You'll find more help here than you'll know what to do with. :lol:

If I were putting together a low-maintenance community tank, the first thing I'd want to know is water hardness. You can find this out from your water provider, or get a test kit. Some fish aren't picky, but lots of the best community fish have a definite preference for hard or soft water.

90 gallons gives you tons of possibilities. Since you have some previous experience, I'll assume you know the basics of cycling, plants, filtration, lighting, etc. If not let us know and we'll fill you in. Are you planning a planted tank? I always advise plants--they are a bit more work on the front end, but they make for a happier and healthier ecosystem. If you have saltwater experience, I'm sure you won't be daunted.

Shrimp should be doable. The best all-around shrimp for my money is the amano: Durable, adaptable, easy to find, interesting to watch, big enough that most community fish won't eat it, and they eat most forms of algae like candy.

So figure out your hardness, let us know what you have for filtration and lighting, and we'll go from there.
Thank you! I've definitely got the basics down in all but plants and their lighting (outside of reef/coral). I wasn't particularly planning a planted tank but I do see the pro's, and its a chance to learn something else new so why not? Because it was formally a smaller saltwater tank, it has an Ocean Revive's Arctic T247 above it but I imagine that needs switched out to accommodate the new inhabitants. The filtration was natural (extra bulk live rock in the bottom sump) so I'll need new suggestions there as well - previous freshwater experience was with canister filters.

For a planted tank, you want a light fixture that has a "temperature" of around 6500 k. 6000-7000 will work. I believe reef tanks require something a lot different.

I don't know much about sump filters, but there are a lot of people who use them for fresh water tanks, so you should be able to adapt it.

Substrate - what do you suggest? I’m reading that some for planted tanks can be tricky when cycling.

I plan to use Dr Tim’s bacteria and ammonia to do a fish less cycle if that makes any difference.

I like PFS (pool filter sand), I have it in 3 tanks

Inexpensive, readily available, looks nice, and grows plants well....bottom dwellers do just fine, too

Substrate - what do you suggest? I’m reading that some for planted tanks can be tricky when cycling.

I plan to use Dr Tim’s bacteria and ammonia to do a fish less cycle if that makes any difference.

Inert soft sand is probably the #1 freshwater substrate because plants grow well in it, and fish will have no issues unlike with several other substrates. Plant substrates are a waste of money, and they are not safe for substrate fish (cories, loaches, etc). You can buy aquarium sand, or for a much less expensive option use quality play sand. If substrate fish like cories are intended, play sand is the safest substrate (aside from the aquarium sands which are also good).

If you do have plants, I would forget cycling. There is a sticky on silent cycles as they are called, here is the link:

Most reactions

trending

Back