Newbie Confusion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spazna

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I just got a new Juwel Rekord 700 as a birthday present and I'm very eager to set it up but I'm confused about a couple of stuff.

I set everything up according to the instructions but was wondering whether anything else should be added pump wise? For example air pumps?

Also are airstones a must? If so how do I set it up considering there's only one pipe thing coming out..

Sorry if these are really stupid questions but I tried looking for answers but ended up being more confused. Any help is much appreciated.

Hello and welcome!
welcomeani.gif

Firstly, you're going to want to do a Fishless Cycle before you add any fish, this will be better for the health of your fish in the long run. Ammonia is breathed out and excreted by fish, and once the ammonia builds up, it is detrimental to their health, and will eventually kill them. The process of growing bacteria in the filter is called cycling, and one type of bacteria turns the ammonia into nirtite, which is less dangerous, then another turns the nitrite into nitrate, which is safe in low ammounts and is removed by waterchanges and/or live plants. Once enough of the bacteria has grown, the tank is ready to be stocked. In order to determine this, you're going to need to pick up a test kit if you don't already have one.
Air stones aren't neccesary if your filter causes plenty of surface iritation, though they won't hurt if you add them. When setting it up, simply attatch the stone to the pump with a lengh of airline tubing. There's no need to hook up anything for the pump to suck air from, it draws in the air around it through an intake molded into the pump casing.
For additional help, you can check out the Beginner's Resouce Center.
Good luck with your new tank!
good.gif

Thank you! You have definitely cleared things up for me :D

You're welcome. That's what the forum is for.
Once again good luck with your tank!
thumbs-up.gif

I have a rekord 700 also.

Everything you need is there with it, you will have that little adjustable pump nozzle which you can turn to any position and it seems to have plenty of power just adjust it so it is disturbing the surface of the water and you will be fine for oxygen.

You can get a Juwel diffuser to attach but apparently they are noisy and as I have never had 1 single problem with just using the standard rekord 700 filter and pump then I doubt you would need one.

Also do not be fooled into buying and changing the Blue/green sponge media every 2 months like they say you should do.

Oh thank you! I couldn't find answers about the rekord 700 anywhere lol
Does this mean the white sponge is just rewash-able too seeing as its just cotton?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back