New to the hobby and looking for advice

FishieNewbie13

New Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2022
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
North Carolina
Hi! I have always had a love for aquariums since childhood. My family kept a big one in our living room (150 gallons I think don’t quote me lol) I now have 2 aquariums myself but I’m still relatively new to caring for my fish on my own (thanks COVID 19 😂) everything has been going well but I now question if one of my Glofish tetra is pregnant or could something else be going on. Can anyone help?
 
Hi! I have always had a love for aquariums since childhood. My family kept a big one in our living room (150 gallons I think don’t quote me lol) I now have 2 aquariums myself but I’m still relatively new to caring for my fish on my own (thanks COVID 19 😂) everything has been going well but I now question if one of my Glofish tetra is pregnant or could something else be going on. Can anyone help?
I have a Glofish Tetra that has appeared bloated for quite some time (> 1 month), with no change in behavior. I'm not saying that nothing is happening with your fish, just letting you know that it may be nothing to be concerned about.

Females are also more 'diamond' shaped than males.
 
I can try to take better pictures
 

Attachments

  • 2FD19606-79B4-4A64-9256-F3BE564DF55C.webp
    2FD19606-79B4-4A64-9256-F3BE564DF55C.webp
    112 KB · Views: 121
  • E08EA4EC-29E1-43BE-82FA-3F4E6710E917.webp
    E08EA4EC-29E1-43BE-82FA-3F4E6710E917.webp
    99.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 66B58A60-D977-4D02-A330-CEC13C9BE831.webp
    66B58A60-D977-4D02-A330-CEC13C9BE831.webp
    99.7 KB · Views: 123
My fatty, not the OP.
She has slimmed down a bit possibly due to a reduction in feeding in my attempt to reduce Cyanobacteria outbreak.
 

Attachments

  • 9ACAC0D1-EE9F-4A44-8E9B-02046F53B176.webp
    9ACAC0D1-EE9F-4A44-8E9B-02046F53B176.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 131
All things being equal she (assuming it's a female) might just be loaded with eggs, these aren't live bearing fish so they don't "get pregnant" but will load with and lay eggs when they reach maturity and the conditions are right. If there are males, they might fertilize the eggs, but that's another story.
Keep an eye for its poop. If it's not the normal color and instead white and "stringy" that would indicate parasites.

Also keep an eye on how it's behaving, is it eating and swimming normally? A month is definitely too long.
 
All things being equal she (assuming it's a female) might just be loaded with eggs, these aren't live bearing fish so they don't "get pregnant" but will load with and lay eggs when they reach maturity and the conditions are right. If there are males, they might fertilize the eggs, but that's another story.
Keep an eye for its poop. If it's not the normal color and instead white and "stringy" that would indicate parasites.

Also keep an eye on how it's behaving, is it eating and swimming normally? A month is definitely too long.
Thank you for clarifying. “She” has been eating and swimming as normal no changes in behavior at all. How do I know the difference between male and female?
 
Thank you for clarifying. “She” has been eating and swimming as normal no changes in behavior at all. How do I know the difference between male and female?
Males are noticeably slimmer and a little smaller than females. The male also has more pointed dorsal and anal fins than the female.

From:

 

Most reactions

Back
Top