New To Saltwater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, time for an update...past time, actually, but hang on as this will be pretty photo intensive and may require a couple of posts to update everything that has happened.

So, 2 1/2 weeks ago I purchased some Evolution LED light fixtures for my display tank from a local reefer tearing down his tank. More on that later, just trying to start the time line.

Weekend before last, my canopy was FINALLY delivered. It was a long time coming, due to some family issues with the builder and him redoing the finish countless times until he got it just like he wanted it. Without further ado, here's a photo of the entire DT now.

IMG_9124.jpg

So it was killing me, but he had asked me to let the final coat cure a few more days before I did anything too much with it. That just meant I had some time to figure out how to mount the LED fixtures into it. Evolution makes some mounting brackets but they want $25 each. I figured I could DIY something for certainly less than that. So last weekend I sent to Lowes to see what I could come up with. What I found was some galvanized metal straps. After measuring upteen times I bent them into 90 degree angles and mounted into the canopy. Added the lights to the brackets and viola, new lights on the DT. Oh, and it cost me just over 8 bucks total. :)

I didn't do a good job of taking pictures getting them ready, but here are some pics of the lights mounted in the canopy. The nice thing in, you can sort of see it in the second picture, I have about an inch adjustment up or down with these brackets as is necessary.
IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

All in all, I am really pleased with the outcome. I'll add some pictures of the lighting in the tank in the next posts.

Big yes, but not so juicy. Bought a new house, so had to tear this tank down about 12 months ago, but....I just purchased a DAS 145 Gallon that I've just begun work on.

Yuma said:
Big yes, but not so juicy. Bought a new house, so had to tear this tank down about 12 months ago, but....I just purchased a DAS 145 Gallon that I've just begun work on.

Thats good enough for me :D

Make sure you post plenty of pics and updates, not enough salty stuff going on, on here 

I'd be happy to start a thread out add to this one if there's interest in living vicariously through my mistakes...Lol

Return manifold for the new system, dry fit.
Here's the new system. 145 gallon DAS tank and stand, dual overflow. 55 gallon, 3 chamber sump in the stand. Should have around 175-180 gallons in the total system.

Attachments

• 20150207_204450_HDR~01.jpg
    20150207_204450_HDR~01.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_20150203_200447~01.jpg
    IMG_20150203_200447~01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 294
Stackin some rocks

Attachments

• IMG_20150209_212545:nopm:~01.jpg
    IMG_20150209_212545:nopm:~01.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 287
ohh nice size tank :D

What sort of rock is that? doesnt look like liverock unless im mistaken?

I've seen better but it's not too bad. I'll be adding some other to it that should be more porous, that's not enough I don't think.

Attachments

• 20150212_200209_HDR~01.jpg
    20150212_200209_HDR~01.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 275
Yuma said:
I've seen better but it's not too bad. I'll be adding some other to it that should be more porous, that's not enough I don't think.

Ahhh doesnt look as bad in that pic :) Id add some more but i love tanks full of rock. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back