New To Saltwater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oooooh, I love the Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse i am planning to get one in my tank as well!

Well, with the snow, ice and generally sub-zero weather, lfs wasn't able to get the wrasse in this week. Supposed to be coming Monday...more than likely will be Tuesday though. Can't wait. Tanks are doing really well, gonna do some water changes this weekend. Got a little algae issue in both tanks, but I'll get some of it sucked out and a water change will help more than anything. Gonna clean the other powerhead as well...been putting it off for over a week.

Got a couple of purple firefish at the lfs....I may end up with them before the weekend is over. :rolleyes:

Powerhead cleaned, water changed in both tanks, all the water stats are back in line.

Got a pretty serious cyano outbreak in my Biocube/Quarantine, but gonna step up the water changes and throw some chemipure elite in the center chamber and see if that helps out. Local guys having HUGE success with it in their nano's so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Didn't get my wrasse this week either. Since it's a big box lfs, they are locally kind of at the mercy of the regional manager so because of snow and ice, etc. last week things sort of got derailed all the way around. BUT, it was re-ordered this week so should be in middle of next week.

In the meantime, really liked the purple firefish they had, so I bought two of them last night. They're in my quarantine, hopefully everything will be fine there and they can move to display tank before I get the wrasse in. If not, they'll all three just be a little cozy in there until I know they are all ok.

Ok, so water change day tomorrow, but had a club meeting tonight and I came home with a few new corals. Plus, thought I'd throw in a couple pictures of my firefish. Wrasse should come in next week....pretty excited.

So, here's goes...prepare for picture overload. :lol:

First the items I acquired in that last few weeks.

The firefish:
Firefish.jpg

And one under just actinics:
Firefishactinic.jpg

Here's a picture of the colt coral:
IMG_8929.jpg

Here's the devil's hand:
IMG_8925.jpg

And now, the stuff I picked up today.

First, a small patch of zoas:
IMG_8917.jpg

A VERY small piece of a tri-color ricordea:
IMG_8919.jpg

Some small pieces of green hairy mushroom, recently fragged:
IMG_8920.jpg

And finally, the one I liked the most....Kryptonite candy cane: (forgive the picture under actinic...it's where it looks the best)
IMG_8936.jpg

Purple firefish moved to the big tank today because my McCosker's FINALLY came in today.
good.gif

So excited...it was pretty scared when I moved it into the QT, but hopefully tonight it will be out and about and I can get some photos to share.

Not a real great picture. Being kinda shy still.....had a rough couple of days.
rolleyes.gif

IMG_9013.jpg

Hey guys and gals....I've got a quick question. Got word today that canopy is almost ready for painting.

Any thoughts on how to finish the inside? Should I varnish it real well? Would it be better to paint it? If so, would white be the best color?

Or would it be better to just leave it unfinished?

Just trying to get an idea what would be the best what to protect the wood.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Personally, I would prime it to waterproof it then paint it white. Don't know much about this sort of thing but that would be my guess.

Ok, after a discussion with a couple of local folks, I've decided to go with a two-part white epoxy paint on the interior of the canopy. 99.9% waterproof...so much so that I could probably take the canopy off and give it a good washing with the hose and not harm the underlying wood.

Paint should be about dry...maybe I'll get the canopy this weekend. We shall see.

FINALLY got my skimmer parts and got it fixed up and it is running like a champ and is super quiet. So glad to have that back up and running...if nothing else a little peace of mind.

Tooks some pics tonight so thought I'd share.

Here's an updated pic of my wrasse now that he is well fed and all colored up: (didn't manage to catch him "flashing" but still a beautiful fish)

IMG_9053-1.jpg

And, another full tank shot:
IMG_9042.jpg

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Well, tragedy struck last weekend. About 4 weeks ago, my wrasse came down with a horrible case of Ich. Thankfully he was still in my biocube and hadn't been moved to the display tank. Since I have a bunch of corals in my Biocube, pending my light upgrade, I wasn't going to be able to treat him in the Biocube, so I setup a quick 12 gallon hospital tank. Thankfully a local club member had an eclipse sitting around empty.[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana] [/font][/color]
[color="#536482"][font="Verdana][size="2"]Well, 3 weeks at hypo and out of nowhere I have a HUGE nitrite spike, which means I had a HUGE ammonia spike in the days prior. Normally, I was testing every night and changing water every other night or so, but I had come complacent as I was extremely busy. The wrasse never recovered and he ended up DOA on Sunday morning. Sucks that I had put so much time in getting him better only to have him end up like that, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it now. I've learned a LOT about ich and hyposalinity treatment for the future, so I can take that away from the experience.[/size][/font]

[color="#536482"][font="Verdana][size="2"]On a brighter note, week before last I bought a couple of corals from a local vendor. For your viewing pleasure, here are a couple of pics.[/size][/font]

[color="#536482"][font="Verdana][size="2"]Icy blue zoas (sorry for the bad picture)[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]
IMG_9090.jpg
[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]Red and Green War Coral Favia[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="2"]
IMG_9091.jpg
[/size][/font]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online