New To Fishkeeping - Sunburst Wag Platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jean1984

Reaction score
Good day,

I am new to fish keeping. I started a few weeks ago as I always wanted fishies as a kid. Now been time for me to finalize and end up having fishies. I bought 5 Sunburst Wag Platy. Which I find is a great hobby. Sadly after a few weeks my 10 gallons was leaking overnight and I am working overnight. When I came back from work a big mess of water on my floor.

I went to the store in the morning and they reimburse me which I bought a 20 gallons instead and have no issues with it. As you can see on my profile pictures. I had to put my fishies in a bucket with aquarium water and add a filter to it and heater but lost two of them while setting up the new aquarium and the new furniture I got. 10 gallons of water in my older dresser was not good at all.

I do enjoy my new fishies and get a hang of it and added live plants to my 20 gallons as I heard live plants absorb ammonia as well. I added a air stoner with a oyster in it which open every now and then with a big bubble of air. Pretty cool quite frankly.

I do have an issue with my ammonia level which is still high. Yesterday I did a water change and clean my rocks at the bottoms. With approx 25% with Stability Seachem and Prime Seachem mix in the new water. When I looked earlier at my ammonia level after 24hrs it was still high so I did another water change of approx. 25% two days in a row.

I have about 5 live plants in my 20 gallons and added Stability Seachem one capful and Prime Seachem few drops with 24hrs intervals...

Is there a better way to control ammonia in my fresh water 20 gallons and only 3 Sunburst Wag Platy in it?

Thank you the add.

Looking forward to hear from you expert FishKeeper!

Jean

Attachments

• 20gallons_aquarium.jpg
    20gallons_aquarium.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 52
Thank you. The level of nitrate and nitrite are none but level of amnonia before water change this morning was 8.0ppm .

Should I add Prime Seachem and Stability Seachem in my new tap water everytime I do water change.

I will do 70% water change then I will wait 24hrs before doing another water testing...

I would add both, but be careful not to overdo the Prime. 8ppm of ammonia is beyond deadly to fish 1 ppm is considered deadly. I would suggest several back to back changes until readings show a MUCH lower ammonia level.

What kind of test kit are you using?

With the nitrAte test, you need to shake the heck out of bottle #2 before adding to the test tube, to get an accurate reading...shake hard for a full minute, bang it on a desk, shake it some more, throw it against a wall, then shake again...ESPECIALLY if it is new, or hasn't been shaken in a while...

With the nitrAte test, you need to shake the heck out of bottle #2 before adding to the test tube, to get an accurate reading...shake hard for a full minute, bang it on a desk, shake it some more, throw it against a wall, then shake again...ESPECIALLY if it is new, or hasn't been shaken in a while...
lol Thanks will do. My nitrite and nitrate level came back 0ppm but only my amnonia level is really high.... :( I am currently doing my second water change today...

Hopefully I can bring it down sooner than later...

Well my friends. Good news and proud of myself.

My ammonia level two weeks ago was 8.0ppm.
Last week it was at 2.0ppm.
My ammonia level is now down at 0.5ppm.
My nitrite and nitrate level are and always been at 0ppm and my ph level is at 7.0ph.

I feed them less and more often. I do 75% water change.

Here I am a happy fishkeeper.

Thanks guys for the info and help....:)

Add plants ASAP. Not all plants are as beneficial to new tanks as others. The Silent Cycle Super Seven* are what you need:
Water Sprite
Amazon Frogbit
Water Lettuce
Duckweed
Anacharis
Hornwort
Moneywort

As many of or as much as possible. All may not thrive in your tank or be to your tastes aesthetically but that’s irrelevant at the moment. I’ve excluded Salvina as it can get chewed up by some filters.

*Cmon let’s get that caught on in the fishkeeping community!

Add plants ASAP. Not all plants are as beneficial to new tanks as others. The Silent Cycle Super Seven* are what you need:
Water Sprite
Amazon Frogbit
Water Lettuce
Duckweed
Anacharis
Hornwort
Moneywort

As many of or as much as possible. All may not thrive in your tank or be to your tastes aesthetically but that’s irrelevant at the moment. I’ve excluded Salvina as it can get chewed up by some filters.

*Cmon let’s get that caught on in the fishkeeping community!
The Silent Cycle Super Seven - I like it! Did you pick this up somewhere, or is this your own design and trying to spread it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back