The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right guys and girls,
I went for this tank. Strideways Sado 45P Aquarium Kit

With all your help and input Iā€™ve decided to go for a full all in one kit from co2 art. Investment at its finest.

But before I go and buy the co2 kit Iā€™m now wanting advice on what filter and heater to go for for this tank.
I canā€™t go external as where it will be placed so I am looked at going internal for this one it will have shrimp and chilli rasboras in so Iā€™d want it as stable as possible after my fishless cycle I will be using aqua soil rocks and wood, my aim is to make the scape without plants and then cycle the tank to get it stable ready for shrimp to go into so yeah I need an internal filter for this. I am however going to upgrade my Roma 90 to an external at some point after this :)

That looks like a fun set up! Only thing to mention the Twinstar B range is their low tech range so just be careful with the Co2 as your light might not be powerful enough for full high tech growth. But that said no one ever has the powerful Twinstars at full power so you'll probably be ok :)

When you do a high tech tank like this I would get the filter set up and add plants from the start. Dont do a fishless cycle as your plants are going to be growing so fast you wont need to rely on the filters.

Also when you add your soil in for the first few weeks it will release ammonia. I'm guessing you've seen George Farmers vidoes, I'd recommend looking for his process of setting up which is something like daily water changes for week 1, every other day for week 2, 3 a week for week 3 and so on until you get to one a week which is your usual routine.

The important thing is to include some fast growing plants to start with like Limnophilla Sessiflora or Hygrophila Siamensis 53b these will be your weeds to see how well over all plant growth is at the start while some of your slower growers like Crypts and Anubias are catching up.

If an external filter is not possible maybe a HOB would be good the new Seachem and Oase ones look pretty good.

Wills

I only use internal filters; the cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. I use Hailea. Just see how you get on without CO2. I have tried CO2 and it's not worth the bother.

That looks like a fun set up! Only thing to mention the Twinstar B range is their low tech range so just be careful with the Co2 as your light might not be powerful enough for full high tech growth. But that said no one ever has the powerful Twinstars at full power so you'll probably be ok :)

When you do a high tech tank like this I would get the filter set up and add plants from the start. Dont do a fishless cycle as your plants are going to be growing so fast you wont need to rely on the filters.

Also when you add your soil in for the first few weeks it will release ammonia. I'm guessing you've seen George Farmers vidoes, I'd recommend looking for his process of setting up which is something like daily water changes for week 1, every other day for week 2, 3 a week for week 3 and so on until you get to one a week which is your usual routine.

The important thing is to include some fast growing plants to start with like Limnophilla Sessiflora or Hygrophila Siamensis 53b these will be your weeds to see how well over all plant growth is at the start while some of your slower growers like Crypts and Anubias are catching up.

If an external filter is not possible maybe a HOB would be good the new Seachem and Oase ones look pretty good.

Wills

Thanks for this bud very informative, what HOB size would you go for if itā€™s around 30L the 75 one with some toning down of flow?

Iā€™m after a carpet of plants hence the co2. Would you advice to not add the fish and shrimp till after these water changes etc? I guess with the planted way I should read all 0s on the water test and I wonā€™t ever get a cycle? Iā€™m willing to upgrade the light as and when needed :)

Thanks for this bud very informative, what HOB size would you go for if itā€™s around 30L the 75 one with some toning down of flow?

Iā€™m after a carpet of plants hence the co2. Would you advice to not add the fish and shrimp till after these water changes etc? I guess with the planted way I should read all 0s on the water test and I wonā€™t ever get a cycle? Iā€™m willing to upgrade the light as and when needed :)
If you want to achieve that carpeted, aquascaped look Co2 is the best way. It is possible without Co2, plenty of great tanks that do it without but if you want to aim for the type of tanks you see at IAPLC or on high end youtube channels you need the Co2 to grow the tiny leaved plants that help achieve that look.

Some people add shrimp and fish to the tanks pretty early in that process after about 2 weeks but if you do the water changes (which you need to, to keep algae down) and keep testing your water you will get a feel for when its safe to add the first inhabitants. Shrimp add next to nothing to the bio load so dont wait too long between adding them and the fish. If you get good growth going I think having the fish in will mainly feed the plants not the filter anyway but it would be good to get the filter started, especially if you can use some media from your 200 litre tank.

I havent used a hob before but want one on my 30 litre and I was looking at the 35 its 500lph which would be over 10x turn over which isnt bad for plants but not great for fish. I do wonder if a small internal might be the answer but I dont know which to recommend.

Do you have your hardscape and soil yet? What are your ideas for the tank?

Wills

If you want to achieve that carpeted, aquascaped look Co2 is the best way. It is possible without Co2, plenty of great tanks that do it without but if you want to aim for the type of tanks you see at IAPLC or on high end youtube channels you need the Co2 to grow the tiny leaved plants that help achieve that look.

Some people add shrimp and fish to the tanks pretty early in that process after about 2 weeks but if you do the water changes (which you need to, to keep algae down) and keep testing your water you will get a feel for when its safe to add the first inhabitants. Shrimp add next to nothing to the bio load so dont wait too long between adding them and the fish. If you get good growth going I think having the fish in will mainly feed the plants not the filter anyway but it would be good to get the filter started, especially if you can use some media from your 200 litre tank.

I havent used a hob before but want one on my 30 litre and I was looking at the 35 its 500lph which would be over 10x turn over which isnt bad for plants but not great for fish. I do wonder if a small internal might be the answer but I dont know which to recommend.

Do you have your hardscape and soil yet? What are your ideas for the tank?

Wills
Could I seed the filter for a week or two in my cycled tank? Then just pop it in the new tank?

Hard scape I have one bit of wood and some stone, Iā€™m yet to choice a soil thatā€™s my next questionā€¦

Yeah thats a good idea! Make sure you put some mature media in it though. You need the filter in from the start though as you will have ammonia from the soil.

Dont underestimate how much hardscape you need sometimes, try it out in the empty tank to see how it looks etc.

Soil wise I would go with Tropica, its been great for me and has a good reputation but to be fair I dont think any of them are a bad choice, not a big fan of the fluval one as its a bit sharp. I'd try and stick to the powder soil in your tank too, the regular might look too big and spoil the scale.

Wills

Yeah thats a good idea! Make sure you put some mature media in it though. You need the filter in from the start though as you will have ammonia from the soil.

Dont underestimate how much hardscape you need sometimes, try it out in the empty tank to see how it looks etc.

Soil wise I would go with Tropica, its been great for me and has a good reputation but to be fair I dont think any of them are a bad choice, not a big fan of the fluval one as its a bit sharp. I'd try and stick to the powder soil in your tank too, the regular might look too big and spoil the scale.

Wills
Perfect idea. I guess no rinsing is needed. So Iā€™ll pop the filter into the cycled tank for a week and also add some bio stuff to the new filter when transitioning and I guess with amonia being present in the tank with soil itā€™ll get to work isnsantly

Perfect idea. I guess no rinsing is needed. So Iā€™ll pop the filter into the cycled tank for a week and also add some bio stuff to the new filter when transitioning and I guess with amonia being present in the tank with soil itā€™ll get to work isnsantly
Yeah perfect :) It is one of the good things about the soils that they provide a source of ammonia without adding pure ammonia or fish.

Make sure you post some pics as you start to get set up :)

Wills

Yeah perfect :) It is one of the good things about the soils that they provide a source of ammonia without adding pure ammonia or fish.

Make sure you post some pics as you start to get set up :)

Wills

I certainly will, will the 75 HOB filter be okay for the 30L tank? And would you add plants first or wait till the ammonia drops a bit then drain water and add plants?

I certainly will, will the 75 HOB filter be okay for the 30L tank? And would you add plants first or wait till the ammonia drops a bit then drain water and add plants?
Id add plants at the start, you'll need to do the water changes but the ammonia will get the plants growing

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back