The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stang411s

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I was wondering if someone could push me in the right direction. I currently setup a new display tank and paired it with an established Refugium form my previous tank. It’s had been running for 2 days, I tested levels and I have Ph is 7.8, Ammonia is 0ppm Nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 5ppm. So right away I’m registering 5ppm nitrate and that I feel is good because my old setup would stay at 5ppm until a water change is needed then obviously would go up. So I added 4 fish and 1 snail at the end of day 1 and levels still the same end of day 2.
My question is do you think the Refugium was established enough for my display tank to not even need to cycle? I’m having a hard time deciding whether or not to add the other 4 fish and 2 snails. I could use a little advise, what do you think! Thanks in advance!
“Sorry size is display tank 37gallon bow front planted With a 10 gallon Refugium with floss, bio max rings,

How did you use or what did you use the refugium for?
Are you using the refugium like a sump tank to provide filtrations to your previous tank?

If yes, and if your refugium has been running for many months, your new tank cycle should be complete/ready now.

Next, assuming that you used the refugium as filtration sump tank.
What is the size of your previous tank?

How established your refugium "beneficial bacteria(BB)" will depend on your previous tank.
If your previous tank is big and have many fish, then your refugium will carry much BB with it.
The numbers of BB in the refugium will always depend on your bioload or how many fish you have in your previous tank.
The more fish and waste, the more BB you have.
The less fish and waste, the less BB you have.

Last edited:
Hello and thanks for your replay!
Yes I was using the Refugium as sump for extra filtration. Previously I had the sump on a 14 gallon oceanic biocube that was running for about 5 months that also had additional filtration other then the sump. I ran filter floss and an In tank media basket with its own bio max rings and chemi pure elite and purigen with a uv sterilizer. ‘This Tank housed 8 fish and 4 snails. Throughout those several mounts when I did water changes I always added BB and freshwater trace additives. Also I reused about 80 percent of the old gravel and all the old plants and hardscape rocks and driftwood/moss that was in the old tank. The old gravel only took up about 3/8 of the new tank and kept that as a kinda center piece because it’s white gravel then I used black carib eco compete gravel and put everywhere else in the tank.

How did you use or what did you use the refugium for?
Are you using the refugium like a sump tank to provide filtrations to your previous tank?

If yes, and if your refugium has been running for many months, your new tank cycle should be complete/ready now.

Next, assuming that you used the refugium as filtration sump tank.
What is the size of your previous tank?

How established your refugium "beneficial bacteria(BB)" will depend on your previous tank.
If your previous tank is big and have many fish, then your refugium will carry much BB with it.
The numbers of BB in the refugium will always depend on your bioload or how many fish you have in your previous tank.
The more fish and waste, the more BB you have.
The less fish and waste, the less BB you have.

Yes I was using the Refugium as sump for extra filtration. Previously I had the sump on a 14 gallon oceanic biocube that was running for about 5 months that also had additional filtration other then the sump. I ran filter floss and an In tank media basket with its own bio max rings and chemi pure elite and purigen with a uv sterilizer. ‘This Tank housed 8 fish and 4 snails. Throughout those several mounts when I did water changes I always added BB and freshwater trace additives. Also I reused about 80 percent of the old gravel and all the old plants and hardscape rocks and driftwood/moss that was in the old tank. The old gravel only took up about 3/8 of the new tank and kept that as a kinda center piece because it’s white gravel then I used black carib eco compete gravel and put everywhere else in the tank.

Hello at the end of day 3 I have some readings ph7.6 ammonia 0.25Pppm, nitrite 0.25ppm and nitrate 0.5ppm I wonder if it’s stating to cycle now and having an established sump just gave it a huge kick start, lol I hope the levels stabilize over the night I will check in the morning and post results! Thanks

You may want to consider using Tetra SafeStart Plus, it is designed for things like this and will also help jump start your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back