New Tank!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

so i told you i would keep you posted on how the new tank thing was going. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/424607-new-tank-and-slow-betta/
I got it in the morning, and set it up after lunch. I bought dark red gravel as i said i would and put it in there.
The little betta has been there for an hour and a half now and he seems to be doing great! As soon as i put him in he started to check things out and swim around. He has a lot of water and space to swim. As i said it's a 2,25 gallon tank, the 3,3 gallon what the bouble of the price. I bought two packs of gravel and i should've bought three but for now it's fine. He looks pretty happy.
The tank is kinda empty, only having the small cave, a plastic plant, a leaf for him to rest on and the marimo.
But for now it's his home and he is co cute in there! Keeps moving everywhere!
It really seems right and fair to have this bigger tank, he looks happier than ever.
The stress coat really helped him settle in.
Will post a pic of the tank later.

Any advice on how to keep it from now on?
Thanks for all your help and support!

Live plants would be great for him! You can find some low light plants like java fern which would do really well. Keep up with your water changes! He'll definitely need it until the tank is cycled.

tumblr_mt31tcIzu41r6l7zpo1_500.jpg

Here is a pic of his tank. It doesnt look very big in the photo but if really is big.

attibones said:
Live plants would be great for him! You can find some low light plants like java fern which would do really well. Keep up with your water changes! He'll definitely need it until the tank is cycled.

What plants apart from java fern would you advice ?

Java fern, java moss, anubias nana, perhaps amazon compacta, things of that nature.

Anubia plants are very hardy, low level light plants, the leaves are nice and sturdy, they are great little plants!

Java Moss is awesome tied on some drift wood, makes it looks like a soft carpet. Fish like to nibble on it a little. You need to trim it sometimes to keep it from looking like a Hippie in the tank, lol!

Or how about some floating plants like water lettuce (gets kind a big, there is also a dwarf variety), frog bit, duck weed, hornwort?

Just noticed I can't see a heater or a filter in the picture, are you getting them later? There are some mini-heaters available, I'm not sure though how well they suit a plastic tank. 

Love it!  Great advice from everyone on the live plants and water changes for him.....I'm sure he is much happier now that he can stretch his fins....lol
So happy you got the tank
coolx.gif

Meeresstille said:
Anubia plants are very hardy, low level light plants, the leaves are nice and sturdy, they are great little plants!

Java Moss is awesome tied on some drift wood, makes it looks like a soft carpet. Fish like to nibble on it a little. You need to trim it sometimes to keep it from looking like a Hippie in the tank, lol!

Or how about some floating plants like water lettuce (gets kind a big, there is also a dwarf variety), frog bit, duck weed, hornwort?

Just noticed I can't see a heater or a filter in the picture, are you getting them later? There are some mini-heaters available, I'm not sure though how well they suit a plastic tank. 

No i dont have a heater yet, have to earn some money first and those are the future plans once i get enough money for a heater. The filter i'm borrowing from my dad's friend. He said he would borrow me his old filter from him smaller tank.

BettaBarbara said:
Love it!  Great advice from everyone on the live plants and water changes for him.....I'm sure he is much happier now that he can stretch his fins....lol
So happy you got the tank
coolx.gif

Oh tank you!
I dont know about the plants yet , i was thinking of getting a snail. Would the snail eat the plants and the marimo? Would the tank be overstocked?
Also is there any plants i can keep in a cold water tank? Wanted to get some for my girlfriend's tank, she has a black moor in there.

That tank looks a whole lot better than the previous one and I bet your boy is so happy.  In a tank of that size you do not need to add any other living thing as it is too small.  You need to be most concerned with getting a heater and thermometer now.  

Plants are hard to keep with goldfish since they tend to eat them.  

Wildbetta said:
That tank looks a whole lot better than the previous one and I bet your boy is so happy.  In a tank of that size you do not need to add any other living thing as it is too small.  You need to be most concerned with getting a heater and thermometer now.  

Plants are hard to keep with goldfish since they tend to eat them.  

I wanted to give him a live plant to hide and play but maybe it will take too much space. Is it a bad idea to get plants?

Oh alright , so no plants for cold water ?

Plants are great for your betta tank.  The moss balls are good for small betta tanks.  I personally prefer anubias for low light betta setups.  They have nice leaves that bettas love to lay on and they are really easy plants.  The plants will not take up too much space in my opinion and will help you with water quality and the health of your betta.

Wildbetta said:
Plants are great for your betta tank.  The moss balls are good for small betta tanks.  I personally prefer anubias for low light betta setups.  They have nice leaves that bettas love to lay on and they are really easy plants.  The plants will not take up too much space in my opinion and will help you with water quality and the health of your betta.

So i may be getting anubias tomorrow since i dont have enough money for the heater yet. Do they grow a lot ?

Anubias grow really slow so you won't be able to "see" it grow for sometime.  I personally think you should save your money to buy a heater and wait on the plants since the heater is more important but that is my opinion.

Wildbetta said:
Anubias grow really slow so you won't be able to "see" it grow for sometime.  I personally think you should save your money to buy a heater and wait on the plants since the heater is more important but that is my opinion.

Yes i know. I saw an inexpensive heater but still not enough money ...

I may be saving the money for the heater and stuff and not buy the plants. Also i just found some silk plants downstairs to replace the plastic ones and just put them in the tank. The little buddy is checking them out , seems to like to hide in them.

Nice tank and little fella there! Coming along nicely!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back