New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CJK

Reaction score
Hi ya all, i have had my water and pumps and lights running now for a week, im getting my live rock tomorrow, my question is.... is the only way to cycle a sw tank is to add fish?
Thanks in advance CJK

There are two main methods of cycling a tank:
1. The traditional, slow way by adding a couple of hardy fish and gradually, very slowly building up to a full complement.
2. Fishless Cycling, using ammonia or fishfood.

If you have a read of my article (follow the link in my sig) it'll give you the background to cycling and links to sites on the fishless method.

Oops! Just realised you're talking a marine tank. :*)

That's entirely different! However, the Nitrogen Cycle exists in just the same way, its just that you "cycle" with live rocks. Have a read of the first part of my article anyway but then follow the directions for a marine tank, rather than the fresh water directions in my article.

Do you have sand in there?

Are you adding live rock or base rock?

The answer depends on the answers to these questions. But assuming a standard reef setup with live sand, live rock and protein skimmer, then there is no cycle.

If you add established live rock with good corraline algae coating, and lots of pods and worms inside, and have live sand that again has a good mix of pods and worms, you may not notice a discernible spike in ammonia or nitrite.

If adding base rock and only one or two cured rocks, then you may notice a cycle but the algae and pods will quickly reproduce and spread. Same for adding a bit of live sand to sand-from-a-bag.

If you go to ebay and search on "detritivore" you can get a kit from which will really kickstart your rock and sand. I highly recommend his kits. My tank bounced back from a disaster within 2 weeks and is back to stable. He'll send lots of pods, worms, brittle stars, several pounds of virtually bubbling live sand, and macro algae for your fuge if you have one.

I have sand in yes, its not live sand, im adding 20kilo of live rock on friday.
Thanks CJK

What kind of sand is it? Is it fine or is it crushed shells?

If it is sugar-fine it'll be live sand after you add the live rock. Where's the rock coming from? Where are you? "Kilo" suggests not USA. Try to find a supplier of a detritivore kit or find locals who will give you a cup or two of sand to kick-start your tank. Will make a WORLD of difference, believe me!! Do you have a refugium? If so, most good lfs will just give you a clump of their macroalgae and you will get loads of pods from that. Most locals with a reef tank will have bunches to spare. The pods cling fierce to it, so even without a fuge you can just hold the clump in the tank and just swish it around to get the pods to fall off into the water. A few will quickly be hundreds.

What size tank?

Argo sand (not live) the surlpier of my live rock gave me 2 kilos of live sand to kick things off, The lr is a mixer of Fijian and Carribean,(Grade a) We are in the UK, i have put 30 kilos of the live rock in, refugium? what the hell is that :sad:
Regards Clint

p.s Tank size 56 us Gallons

Well, there's live sand and there's live sand. Did the live sand come from a tank or a bag? If a bag then all it has is bacteria. If it was scooped out of a tank then more likely to have pods/worms.

Even buying live rock from a store you might not get much in the way of pods, etc.

Best bet is to find a UK detritivore kit supplier or just wait and things will blossom as you add stuff. Try to buy/trade for extra pieces of rock from other tanks. Diversify the critter supply...

Do a search on refugium in reefcentral.com. I don't have one but wish I did. Basically a place to grow macroalgae to gobble up detritus, nitrites, and keep the tank water nice and stable. Wish I had one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back