New Tank Lighting? Bulbs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dandx13

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am starting a 125 gallon tank (about 4ft x 2ft x 2ft), which is days from being done cycling. This is my first big tank (I have two established tanks but they're 10 and 20 gallons) I have one light on the top of my tank and i've just started to think it isn't powerful enough for plants. I have read about the Watts to Gallons rule. Some suggest 1 Watt to 1 Gallon some also suggest 2.5 Watts to 1 Gallon.

The lighting unit says 40 watts (which obviously isn't enough) But i don't know if i can just put a higher watt light bulb in it to compensate. I don't know how many watts the bulb in it is. What should i do ?

The fixture is only good for up to 40 watts, so do not put in a larger wattage bulb, that will just create fire hazards.  You don't need those with water (and fish) nearby!

The bulb in it should say on it what the wattage is.  Unless the bulb is old and this info has rubbed off or worn off.

Most tanks that size have several fixtures with 2 tubes apiece.  At least, the ones I've seen.

Freedom said:
The fixture is only good for up to 40 watts, so do not put in a larger wattage bulb, that will just create fire hazards.  You don't need those with water (and fish) nearby!

The bulb in it should say on it what the wattage is.  Unless the bulb is old and this info has rubbed off or worn off.

Most tanks that size have several fixtures with 2 tubes apiece.  At least, the ones I've seen.
So would this be a good purchase?

Zoo Med Laboratories AZMAF448 Aquasun T5ho Quad Hood for Aquarium Light, 48-Inch

If you google it, its the first one on amazon, it wouldn't let me post the link

Nice!  Make sure it is the proper length.  AND notice, clearly states it does not come with bulbs, so you will need to purchase 4 bulbs.  You could get a mix of daywhite and colormax, perhaps.

L.E.D , L.E.D all the way changed my planted tank from zero to hero.

Wave point from Aqua Essentials and TMC Aqua Gro.

Most reactions

Back