New Set up 200L Planted Aquarium!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
I could of cried yesterday, I disturbed the soil and the tank went brown! I had a hissy, I am a girl.... :( with the help of activate carbon and floss the colour has changed quite a lot over night, in a few more days I hope for clearer water!

So now for it to get cycling etc, are there any ways to speed up the cycling process?

I’m now wondering what to put in there when I can...... :D

Attachments

• BF24873D-FE4C-4362-832A-E44546E8D0F0.jpeg
    BF24873D-FE4C-4362-832A-E44546E8D0F0.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
You can use old filter media and or plants rocks or wood from an established tank , will help seep up
You could also add bottled bacteria like api quick start

Tetra Safe Start has a better reputation.

But looking at your tank, all you need to do is get some floating plants, then wait till all the plants show signs of active growth. Then add fish a few at a time. Adding media from another filter will act as a belt and braces approach to make doubly sure - but only move it just before you get fish. It is safest to test ammonia and nitrite every day after each batch of fish till you are sure they are remaining at zero.
That's called a silent cycle. Plants take up ammonia and they don't turn it into nitrite. It does depend on there being enough fast growing plants.

Adding ammonia to do a fishless cycle with live plants can harm the plants so if you do decide to do this, keep a close eye on the plants.

I agree with @Essjay I do the silent cycle on all of my tanks and it works great just make sure you have some fast growing floating plants like hornwort, moneywort, pennywort, salvinia, frog bite and water sprite. These plants absorb ammonia at a higher rate and improve the quality of the water. Tetra Safe Start Plus also works very well. I used it to jump start a cycle in my bother in laws tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back