New Plants And New To Plants.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pumpkinnose

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just went out and bought 1 small Amazon Sword plant which had 4 in it and an assorted Anubias (anubias sp.) for my betta's10 gallon.  I divided the Amazon Sword up which was pretty easy since it was already 4 separate plants in one container and placed 2 in his tank and then placed the other 2 in my 30 gallon live-breeder's tank.  I had a question though as to if it was ok to just plant this plants in the gravel and let them go or if they really need something special.  I mean if I have to I can take the little log out of my 30 gallon and put the anubias on it although I really don't want to as it will take up quite a bit of my 10 gallon.  Plus how much light do these 2 plants need and is there any thing specific I need to do about vacuuming my aquariums out for changes.  And I am do for changes tonight.

I know stupid questions for a newbie but I really would like to have at least my betta tank planted as to having plastic plants in it, and if I can get the others that way I'd be even more happier.

Thanks

The Amazon Sword can grow in the gravel but not too deep or it will rot. Keep the base of the plant where it turns to roots just up above the gravel. (and remove any metal weights or bands)
The Anubias does put down good roots, however, I have mine growing on wood. (I think it is recommended). I was lucky as I had a piece of bog wood with a huge hole through it and I was able
to put the roots straight through it.

A new Amazon sword may die back before it shoots new leaves. It takes a long time, don't be disappointed.

The two in the 20 gallon where uprooted this morning when I got up but the 10 gallon ones are still where they were put.  I put them back in and I'm sure it's going to take a while to get them to stay put.  But I will get there.

Most reactions

Back