New Little Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stoneagedinosaur

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Do you think my Mrs will let me have a little tank if I pretend it's for the kids? Would love a Betta (They are like my neon tetras - want one... just don't know why!) What would make suitable tankmates? Would like some guppies but don't know if the Betta would like them (as they are both show offs)

Thinking of a nice little 30 Litre ish tank. Maybe even a Biorb

If I know what will work I can start suggesting things to the kids that will make it sound like they want them :hey:

What do you reckon?

Liking the sound of your plan! But I would say guppys are a definate no no. Bettas are very likely to attack anything that looks similar so avoid fish with brightly coloured tails etc. We have a Fluval Edge ourselves with a betta and 8x Ember tetras, they are getting on just fine atm although we do have a plakat (shorter fins). Biorbs are ok (I've heard they are a little difficult to maintain) but you could get ALOT more tank for your money. Maybe try looking into the Arcardia Arc or something similar.

I would go for Betta + cherry shrimp, if it were mine ;)

Liking the sound of your plan! But I would say guppys are a definate no no. Bettas are very likely to attack anything that looks similar so avoid fish with brightly coloured tails etc. We have a Fluval Edge ourselves with a betta and 8x Ember tetras, they are getting on just fine atm although we do have a plakat (shorter fins). Biorbs are ok (I've heard they are a little difficult to maintain) but you could get ALOT more tank for your money. Maybe try looking into the Arcardia Arc or something similar.

oooh I second that. I've just put my betta in an arcadia arc tank.

Betta and shrimp are a bit touch and go tbh; I'm trialling mine with some and he's a bit of a pushover but so far so good.

Cories or pygmy cories would be a good tankmate for your betta.

I have a BiOrb :D
It's the 60L medium sized one and is very easy to maintain, just have to make sure you don't crush a fish when putting the filter + bubble tube back in! XD
1z3bddd.jpg

E- Ignore the upset sword in the pic, she had just been put in and is all better now :) xD

That Arcardia Arc does look nice - is there an internal sponge filter for it? If so, I could use the extra bit of sponge that I have next to the filter in my Aqua One main tank. Cheap too!

But then the Biorb looks good too. Meh! I like the idea of small water changes rather than the 50litre changes I do at the mo!

Newb - that was my only concern - why are there so many nice fish in the world? :crazy: The Mrs likes blue fish - so I was thinking along the lines of red Betta and somethings blue and small plus a lovely blue apple snail that I have cross bred from my main tank.

And Dipsy - I'm a soft touch for Corys - but how to get the blue with them? Not really a big fan of the nattereri. Would a 30L ish tank be big enough for 6 corys?

I keep Bacon (My betta) with Rummynoses and a Dwarf Gourami. He's fine with both. Obviously depends on the size of the tank if you keep tetra's as the more the merrier, and people say Dwarf Gouramis and betta's can be hit and miss, but mine seem ok. Depends on the personality of your betta. Mines friendly and placid.

I was originally using an Arcadia tank before I put Bacon in my community. They're nice tanks. Bi-Orbs seem quite expensive for what they are??

just have to make sure you don't crush a fish when putting the filter + bubble tube back in! XD

I have that exact panic every time I do a thorough clean and put my large bogwood back in! I always do an immediate roll call afterwards!

6 Pygmys would be fine in a 30l btw stonagedinosaur. Not sure about any other corys though.

I prefer the Arcadia... There's more scope for plants etc. Plus, the biorb accessories seem very over priced for what they are! A well planted arcadia would be perfect for a Betta. Plus you've got some space left for several small (nothing over 3cm) community fish with a peaceful nature. Exact species depend on pH obviously. Of course there's the option of the Fluval Edge (love or hate)? Filtration systems fab and maintenance is no biggy if you've got the patience and willing to buy a couple of branded products (gravel vac is a must for easy water changes and cleaning substrate). Most props will say an Edge isn't suitable for a Betta, but, we've had no problems whatsoever-he knows where to go to get to the surface and get hand fed. :)

just have to make sure you don't crush a fish when putting the filter + bubble tube back in! XD

I have that exact panic every time I do a thorough clean and put my large bogwood back in! I always do an immediate roll call afterwards!

Same! Especially since I have a baby platy and another baby lurking somewhere, so I really wouldn't want to squish them! >.<

That Arcardia Arc does look nice - is there an internal sponge filter for it? If so, I could use the extra bit of sponge that I have next to the filter in my Aqua One main tank. Cheap too!

But then the Biorb looks good too. Meh! I like the idea of small water changes rather than the 50litre changes I do at the mo!

Newb - that was my only concern - why are there so many nice fish in the world? :crazy: The Mrs likes blue fish - so I was thinking along the lines of red Betta and somethings blue and small plus a lovely blue apple snail that I have cross bred from my main tank.

And Dipsy - I'm a soft touch for Corys - but how to get the blue with them? Not really a big fan of the nattereri. Would a 30L ish tank be big enough for 6 corys?

Yes it comes with an internal sponge filter (I didn't use the one I got with mine; I used one I had previously so I can't comment on how good it is). One thing I did do is get rid of the glass lid and replaced it with a nicely cut to shape plastic one (I have snails and I dont want them climbing out the gaps :).

I personally hate biorbs; they are a "fashion" item in my opinion. They are nice to look at yes, but then they are so expensive and actually you need a lot of space around them; with a square tank I find they take up less space yet they are cheaper.

A 30 litre tank would be fine for pygmy cories, not sure about larger cories.

You can get a 28 litre aqua one tank (aqua one 320) - I also have one of these, but prefered the Arc Arcadia 35 litre because it has a nice clear lid and I personally prefer the lightness of the tanks.

I keep Bacon (My betta) with Rummynoses and a Dwarf Gourami. He's fine with both. Obviously depends on the size of the tank if you keep tetra's as the more the merrier, and people say Dwarf Gouramis and betta's can be hit and miss, but mine seem ok. Depends on the personality of your betta. Mines friendly and placid.

I was originally using an Arcadia tank before I put Bacon in my community. They're nice tanks. Bi-Orbs seem quite expensive for what they are??

Can I just say, the funniest name I have ever heard for a fish :D

Officially yeah it's the middle and bottom but mine swim all over. Mainly at the bottom though.

Most reactions

trending

Back