New Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MHunt

I think therefore I shouldn't
Reaction score
I went out today with the intention of picking up some BN catfish, of which I picked up three juvi fish. Nice coloured examples, I know the light spots will go as they grow, but they're nice fish anyway. I'm also hoping that by getting three that I've got a good chance of getting at least a male and a female, who knows I may manage to breed them later... we can live in hope! I nearly didn't get all three into the tank, while I was opening the bag before floating it in the tank to acclimatise the bag slipped out of my hands and spilt on the bench. Two remained in the bag, but one ended up on the bench, nearly under the microwave!!! Thankfully it was still in the pool of water now flooding the bench and I managed to slide it back into the bag. All three appear to be OK now and are settling in well with their tank-mates.

I also spotted a nice selection of Oto's, of which I got four to put in my smaller tank along with my galaxy rasboras. I know these are algae eaters mainly, but will they benefit from or even be bothered with other green foods such as cucumber?

I've taken a few pictures which I'll post later when I find my phone data cable. Or boot my laptop that's got Blue-tooth.

congrats

juvi bristlenoses grow pretty quickly as well so won;t be long till you see some bristles etc

theyt are great plecs always active and I think males are very attractive with those bristles

I also spotted a nice selection of Oto's, of which I got four to put in my smaller tank along with my galaxy rasboras. I know these are algae eaters mainly, but will they benefit from or even be bothered with other green foods such as cucumber?

Oh yes. I feed them zucchini that has been frozen and then defrosted. This breaks the tissues down somewhat and that makes it easier for them to digest. Bristlenose plecos enjoy it too.

12-16-07withzucchini.jpg

I have a male albino that is very active.
I wish i could find a quality supply of females so i could give him a little friend
congrats on your new fish they do grow quickly

Thanks for the replies guys. You know I thought Oto's we're meant to be peaceful fish. Most of mine are, but one in particular is swimming round like crazy. It does seem though like it's trying to get frisky with one of the other larger possibly female Oto's. Perhaps it's so happy it's trying to spawn? How easy is it to breed Oto's?

If you bought them together it is highly likely that they will be related. It's never a good idea to breed from related fish. I suggest you let them grow up and swap either the males or females with someone else to mix the bloodlines

Most reactions

Back