New Fish Room On It's Way

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

helterskelter

Livebearer Specilest
Reaction score
Hi peeps.

Just thought I'll let you know that I started a new fish room today. should be housing some very rare livebearers

255407_10151208487242345_2076193475_n.jpg

Well I'll be keeping some show guppies, but I'll be keeping anything from mexico, goodieads, xiphophorus, anything really. Also breeding BN pleco's so may try something unusual there too

coz I only use the livebearer section now,
dont have the time i used to with a baby now.

I may do something when I've done a little more

The fishroom looks like its going to be quite good. I spy plenty of tanks there. Glad to see someone taking on rare species like the goodeids. The more the merrier. We have 14 species of goodeid now.

Hi there tropiquaria. I also focus on goodeids but spend plenty of time right here talking about things like mollies and guppies. Everyone has their own interests after all and few people have much access to goodeids. I wish it were not so, but it is true. Are you a participant in the C.A.R.E.S. program? They will give you credit for any endangered or threatened species that you provide the room for and most goodeids fit that definition. If you are not already signed up through your local club, maybe you could encourage them to become CARES sponsors. There is little club burden involved in it. I am the ALA contact for CARES and am trying to get my own local club to sign up as sponsors too. As far as a local club, the only real responsibility they have is providing a quarterly list of member participants and their fish to CARES. As I see it, I can do that for both the ALA and my local club with maybe an hour total per quarter. Who cannot spare that much time?

Hi there tropiquaria. I also focus on goodeids but spend plenty of time right here talking about things like mollies and guppies. Everyone has their own interests after all and few people have much access to goodeids. I wish it were not so, but it is true. Are you a participant in the C.A.R.E.S. program? They will give you credit for any endangered or threatened species that you provide the room for and most goodeids fit that definition. If you are not already signed up through your local club, maybe you could encourage them to become CARES sponsors. There is little club burden involved in it. I am the ALA contact for CARES and am trying to get my own local club to sign up as sponsors too. As far as a local club, the only real responsibility they have is providing a quarterly list of member participants and their fish to CARES. As I see it, I can do that for both the ALA and my local club with maybe an hour total per quarter. Who cannot spare that much time?

Because we are public aquarium, we are not members of any local fish club. We are one of only 11 public institution members of the Goodeid Working Group in Europe though.

I've got access to most goodeid species through the GWG, my only problem is lack of tank space. Actually that's not quite true. We have the space, just not the tanks. We are trying to raise around £5k to create a dedicated breeding station for goodeids. We aim to eventually get about 60-70 tanks devoted to goodeids. So far trying to raise funds is a bit of a nightmare, as very few companies, in todays financial climate are willing to fork out any money at all. But we will persevere, as I am determined to make this work

that a truely amazing fish room

:good: :good: im going to sound like a complete idiot when I say/write this but

how do you manage to filter them individually or other means?? oxygenate the tanks and make sure there's no issues in any of the tanks its just something ive always wondered as it baffles me as ive never seen behind the scenes so to speak in lfs and just curious if I was ever going to or want to do a project like this what would i need to do

Most reactions

trending

Back