New fish keeper need help.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This is an inaccurate statement. Lots of saltwater fish have been successfully bred in captivity for years. (Clownfish being one of the most popular)

Blue tangs on the other hand, are almost always wild caught, because they are so hard to breed in captivity.

A 15g tank is big enough for a pair of clowns, but that’s it - just the clowns and then coral. Anything more than that and you risk overstocking.

I would try to get as big of tank as you can afford.

Yes, I agree with this. Try to get small ones that seem to swim together at your LFS. I was lucky enough to have mine already bonded when I bought them, but I’ve heard of other peoples clowns killing each other.

They are very social fish in my experience. Mine get along great with my goby and dottyback.

Now as mentioned above, sometimes they can be very aggressive, but it just varies from fish to fish.
op, look out for dollar per gallon sales
you can get cheap things there in petsmart
also i feel like all the lights and sump and protein skimmer and fancy sw stuff will cost like x3 of a 15g...

op, look out for dollar per gallon sales
you can get cheap things there in petsmart
also i feel like all the lights and sump and protein skimmer and fancy sw stuff will cost like x3 of a 15g...
You won’t need a sump for a 15g. Just a simple HOB filter will do.

Sorry but I can't afford a 40 gallon aquarium so I just got a 15 gallon, it's the biggest I can get.
No idea of prices there but petco & other big box stores here have 40-55 on sale for $40-50 often
Also see used ones in the classified

So you're not a new fishkeeper as the title says.

To my knowledge almost all Saltwaterfish are wild caught.
As already stated, there are several fish farms that keep captive bred salt water species. Even a big part of what's available in Holland are captive bred species. It's just that I've been to a number of dutch wholesalers that I'm aware of this information. But I was already aware of it that abroad multiple fish farms have captive bred and raised specimens.
I think that his/her name was chosen innocently. I like the name... It's more likely that we are dealing with a super enthusiastic fish fan despite of lacking experience. If someone's so enthusiastic, the name is well chosen. But I do understand that at first, the name and the suggested experience seem a bit contradictory.
i am, my definition of fish keeper is an aquarium with multiple species, 1 fighting fish in a 3 gallon is not a fish keeper.
I'm a seasoned aquarist but in my opinion is that someone who keeps just one fish is also a fish keeper. But there's a difference between a serious fish keeper and just a fish keeper...
So, in my opinion, you are a fish keeper. So, don't think less of yourself even though you're not knowledgeable enough. We were all at that point once. No shame there... ;) And that's why you also are asking for advice. Sounds clear to me... :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back