New fish keeper need help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is your experience really, this is no new bees project. You know what you are doing and are playing with us. Why would you do that??
all i have kept is a tiny 3 gallon tank with 1 betta, i dont call that a fish keeper. i have only just started getting serious and its my 1st saltwater.

What is your experience really, this is no new bees project. You know what you are doing and are playing with us. Why would you do that??
My experience is keeping a betta in a 1/2 gallon tank for 2 years, than relizing its cruel so getting a 3 gallon i have had for a year, defiantly a beginer.

This thread is quite long, but this member did a lot of research before starting his tank. If you read through you'll see the question he asked and the replies he was given. It may give you some idea of what is involved and suggest further questions for you to ask in this thread.

This thread is quite long, but this member did a lot of research before starting his tank. If you read through you'll see the question he asked and the replies he was given. It may give you some idea of what is involved and suggest further questions for you to ask in this thread.
thank you for the help, the thread was very helpful, btw why does it say op on my prof pic.

Last edited:
OP is the person who started a thread. It only shos on your profile pic in threads you've started. If you make a post in a thread started by someone else, it won't be there.

So you're not a new fishkeeper as the title says.

To my knowledge almost all Saltwaterfish are wild caught.
This is an inaccurate statement. Lots of saltwater fish have been successfully bred in captivity for years. (Clownfish being one of the most popular)

Blue tangs on the other hand, are almost always wild caught, because they are so hard to breed in captivity.

15 g is not big enough.
i know maybe they can live in a 15
pheonix has a similar setup thats why im asking them
A 15g tank is big enough for a pair of clowns, but that’s it - just the clowns and then coral. Anything more than that and you risk overstocking.

I would try to get as big of tank as you can afford.

In my experience you can get a pair of juveniles and they will generally pair up and develop together ok. You can also often get away with introducing a smaller juvenile with a larger established clown, as long as you have a resonable amount of space for them to get away from each other while they work out who is boss,.
Yes, I agree with this. Try to get small ones that seem to swim together at your LFS. I was lucky enough to have mine already bonded when I bought them, but I’ve heard of other peoples clowns killing each other.

Thanks for that info.
Aren't clownfish not social fish btw ?
They are very social fish in my experience. Mine get along great with my goby and dottyback.

Now as mentioned above, sometimes they can be very aggressive, but it just varies from fish to fish.

Here is my journal for the tank, in case you wanted more info on my setup @Obessed with fish:

This is an inaccurate statement. Lots of saltwater fish have been successfully bred in captivity for years. (Clownfish being one of the most popular)

Blue tangs on the other hand, are almost always wild caught, because they are so hard to breed in captivity.

A 15g tank is big enough for a pair of clowns, but that’s it - just the clowns and then coral. Anything more than that and you risk overstocking.

I would try to get as big of tank as you can afford.

Yes, I agree with this. Try to get small ones that seem to swim together at your LFS. I was lucky enough to have mine already bonded when I bought them, but I’ve heard of other peoples clowns killing each other.

They are very social fish in my experience. Mine get along great with my goby and dottyback.

Now as mentioned above, sometimes they can be very aggressive, but it just varies from fish to fish.
It clearly wasn't a statement.
Happy to read so many are tankbred fish nowadays. Didn't know.

Might save the tropical coralreefs.

It clearly wasn't a statement.
Happy to read so many are tankbred fish nowadays. Didn't know.

Might save the tropical coralreefs.
Yes… I believe it’s illegal to collect wild fish for profit unless you have a license to do so. Even then, those licenses are very hard to get and maintain.

There are several species of fish that are REALLY hard to breed in captivity, so those are usually wild caught.

Yes… I believe it’s illegal to collect wild fish for profit unless you have a license to do so. Even then, those licenses are very hard to get and maintain.

There are several species of fish that are REALLY hard to breed in captivity, so those are usually wild caught.

Here is my journal for the tank, in case you wanted more info on my setup @Obessed with fish:
thank you the jornal was very helpful!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back