New Camera -- New Cories (hopefully)

Here are some new pictures. I have a question to anyone who has raised cory fry in the past as well. I notice that my fry are not all the same size. I have one in particular who is bigger than the rest. He is now eating baby brine shrimp wheras the others are not yet. I am just wondering if this is normal.

Here is a group shot, sorry about the quality, but they feel the need to hide in the farthest darkest corner of the tank under my sponge filter :)

879d885c.jpg

And here is a picture of the biggest one who is obviously feeding readily on the bbs. :wub:

1dedecef.jpg

Thank you all for your interest in my Panda fry B)

Here are some new pictures. I have a question to anyone who has raised cory fry in the past as well. I notice that my fry are not all the same size. I have one in particular who is bigger than the rest. He is now eating baby brine shrimp wheras the others are not yet. I am just wondering if this is normal.

I think it is normal for some to grow faster then the others. I have one that is a lot bigger then the others. I know the others are eating and they also look healthy.

It has been a couple of days since my last update on the progress of my fry so I'll take time and update everyone. As far as I can tell the fry are doing great :thumbs: . I see little orange stomachs all over the place so I happy to see that they are all eating. I was concerned because I was counting fewer fry all of the time, but I did not see any dead in the tank and then I noticed movement on my sponge filter. It was covered with fry lol!! I figured out where they keep disaperaing off to I guess. Have you noticed your cory fry doing similar things with your sponge filters? Are they picking food particles off of it or are they just looking for a place to hide? Here are some updated pics:

Look you can start to see their trademark eye bands :wub:

Pandasand.jpg

Here is a pic of the fry apartment, my sponge filter lol!!

PandaSponge.jpg

I'll continue to keep everyone updated :nod:

Aww, how cute. Fry apartment :lol:

I've got some bronze corydoras fry on the way (1st time :D) and i think mine are just a little bigger than yours now :)

Well, congrats on nbreeding and raising the fry and hope all goes well! :D

Hi Rez :)

I'm glad to see that your little pandas are doing so well. :thumbs: Are your adults still spawning?

It's not unusual for the fry to develop at different rates of speed, and once in a while one will even grow huge in comparison to the others. Females are often larger than males too, even from the beginning, it seems.

Microscopic organisms grow on the sponge filter and on the glass and the fry will eat them. It's good for them to snack on, but continue to provide them with plenty of the bbs since this is their best source of protein, which they need for rapid growth. :D

I'm glad to see that your little pandas are doing so well. :thumbs: Are your adults still spawning?

It's not unusual for the fry to develop at different rates of speed, and once in a while one will even grow huge in comparison to the others. Females are often larger than males too, even from the beginning, it seems.

Microscopic organisms grow on the sponge filter and on the glass and the fry will eat them. It's good for them to snack on, but continue to provide them with plenty of the bbs since this is their best source of protein, which they need for rapid growth. :D

Nice to see you back! :) My Pandas did spawn again, but unfortunately they were in my community tank and not their own aquarium so the eggs were eaten :-(. I saw one egg in the sand fungused so I know that they did spawn again, but it is awful hard to keep the livebearers from picking them off as soon as they are laid :angry: Oh well I should be focusing on the little ones that I have now anyway :wub: And believe me I have not stopped my feeding of bbs to the little ones :thumbs: . My Grindal worm culture has now matured and the cories absolutely love them!!! Usually when I feed the cories frozen worms they suck them in and spit them out alot before eating them, with the Grinal worms they'll eat 3 at a time and I never saw one spit out! I'll keep everyone updated B)

OMG I looked into my aquarium today and I saw my big female with an egg clutched in her anal fins. That in of itself is not spectacular, but then I noticed another Panda, a fairly small one, with an egg in her anal fins as well!!! I have two spawning at the same time!! I thought I only had one female because she is the only large one, but I guess I have at least 2 now :lol: I'll save what I can and put them in the fry tank with the others.

Here are some pictures:

Here my cories are huddled together ready to snatch the egg off the glass:

Eggcitement.jpg

Here you can see my big female trying to lay the egg on the glass, but the others are following her to eat the egg. (Notice the egg clutched in her anal fins)

Entorage.jpg

And finally, all alone, she lays the egg

layingegg2.jpg

I thought it possible that they might still be spawning. Once they begin they are likely to give you small batches on a regular basis, (even every night or two), depending on how many females you have.

Mine like to spawn during the late evening, but if I'm not there to rescue the eggs, they all get eaten. I keep a few of the hang on the tank, metal thermometers in the tank, and some of the time they will spawn on the inside of them. They don't seem to eat any of the eggs that are put on there, and when I see them, I can easily remove them. The ones they deposit on the glass are more difficult because it's harder to move a fresh egg without damaging it.

I find that keeping them on a diet that is very high in worms helps keep them productive. :D

Thanks for posting all the great pictures! :thumbs:

wow, well done for keeping them alive, i have a bronzr cory and am looking to buy more, we were given him by a friend who was emptying their tank, would love to have baby fishies!! well done 'mummy'!!!! (so to speak) :thumbs:

I have not updated everyone on the progress of my fry since I have gone back to college and finished my senior paper. The day after I arrived back at college and set up both of my tanks I found that in the baby tank the fry were all floating at the top of the aquarium on their bellies :crazy:. However they were all still alive so I quickly scooped them out at placed them in the adult tank where they quickly began acting normally again, (thank goodness) :thumbs: . To this day that is where they remain they are large enough so that the adults do not bother them and they are doing well. Here is a picture of three of them on their favorite spot in the tank, because they can get the worms before their parents can, :lol: .

BabyPandas1-23-05.jpg

I am student teaching now so I sould be able to keep everyone more updated regularly.

Rez B)

Looking good. :thumbs: How old are they now? You can definately tell they are Panda Cories. You can see the stripe over their eyes.

i was going to have a go at breeding corys and now i can't wait :D

my albinos are only about 2cm long :lol:

at what size do they start spawning? i may have a try myself :hey:

your fry are very cute though :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back