New Camera -- New Cories (hopefully)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For Christmas I received a new digital camera, so I decided to use it on my favorite subjects, my Corydoras. I have spent the last 5 days trying to figure out the camera and how to put pics on the message board. I now have it I think :*) . My C. Pandas decided to give me an excellent opportunity to use these new skills this morning when I found eggs on the glass :D . Below you can see the eggs (unfortunately I believe the lower middle one is infertile :-( )

8cfc2c65.jpg

And I also decided to try my hand at capturing a picture of some of my C. Pandas (Sorry about the huge guppy in the picture she is an attention and food hog)

47510ce9.jpg

I'll try and keep updating everyone on the progress of the babies. Unfortunately, I am at the begining of my senior paper for my history major, so my time is pretty well consumed by that.

nice work... do a bit of reading about raising the fry asap - and get the other fish into a different tank - or the fry will get eated ;)

Hi Rez :)

It's good to see you back! :thumbs:

You are so lucky that your pandas don't gobble up the eggs like mine do. I have adult 20 C. pandas in my tank and I've yet to see a group of that many eggs on the glass. I'm lucky that they like to put some eggs on the thermometers that I hang on the side of the tank so I can save some of them. If I'm not right there to get them out when they lay them on the glass, they are eaten within minutes.

How are your earlier spawns doing? :unsure:

nice work... do a bit of reading about raising the fry asap - and get the other fish into a different tank - or the fry will get eated ;)

Yeah I moved the cories into my other aquarium, that is why they are with the guppy in the other picture. They usually get their own aquarium, but when they lay the eggs I move them into my other aquarium to save the eggs/fry from being eaten. Thank you for the concern though :)

Hi Rez :)

It's good to see you back! :thumbs:

You are so lucky that your pandas don't gobble up the eggs like mine do. I have adult 20 C. pandas in my tank and I've yet to see a group of that many eggs on the glass. I'm lucky that they like to put some eggs on the thermometers that I hang on the side of the tank so I can save some of them. If I'm not right there to get them out when they lay them on the glass, they are eaten within minutes.

How are your earlier spawns doing? :unsure:

Unfortunately the earlier spawns resulted in all of the fry dying :-( . I did have 4 or 5 last for about 4 weeks each and then they gradually began to die. They were doing so well and were even begining to show the coloration of their parents, but then I would find them dead, some of them would even be sitting on the bottom as if they were still alive, but when I noticed they weren't moving, I would see if they would move, but they fell over instead :-( . I did not see any signs of infection and I would add small amounts of Methalyne Blue to ward off infection, but still no success. With each failed spawn I get a bit better at keeping them alive longer. I am hoping that this one will be the one to see survivors.

I'm sorry to hear that, Rez. :sad:

What are you feeding them and what kind of tank set up do you keep them in? :unsure:

I'm sorry to hear that, Rez. :sad:

What are you feeding them and what kind of tank set up do you keep them in? :unsure:

I feed them live bbs, and I just recieved a culture of grindal worms that won't be ready for about another week and a half, I also have liquifry, but I use the bbs more because the fry seem to like them better. I go to college so we have a 1 aquarium no bigger than 10 gallon rule so I bought a 2 1/2 gallon with a small air pump powered filter, with a bare bottom to raise the fry so that I could hide it easily ;) . Sad thing is most college students are hiding alcohol and here I am hiding aquariums :*) . I changed out about 1/4 of the 2 1/2 gallon tank every other day. Now that I am at home for break I have both of my 10 gallons going so the eggs are in their own 10 gallon with a sand bottom, there are no plants or accessories in the aquarium that the eggs are in. I have a 20 gallon, but since it is too big for the rules of my college I cannot use it :angry: . I cannot wait to graduate so I don't have to follow rules that limit my fishkeeping. I know that bare-bottomed tanks are better, but I do not have the resources to get another 10 gallon right now, plus I think my parents and girlfriend would kill me. Hopefully next year I'll be teaching with my own place so I don't have to be under anyone's critisizing eye and give my fish the best they deserve. I am really working hard to be sucessful at raising my fry due to the fact that my lfs no longer carries C. Pandas :-( They told me that their supplier is having a hard time getting Pandas, something about problems with their habitat. So I was hoping to breed them to have more for years since I love them so much. I have 3-lined and a ornatus, or white fin (I really can't decide which since they are so similar), but the Pandas are my favorite by far. any advise would be appreciated due to my past failures.

I decided to update everyone on the progress of the eggs. Embryos are just begining to be seen inside the eggs. So I decided to put another picture of what these look like.

68ba571e.jpg

(note: I romoved the obviously dead egg from the aquarium after this picture was taken)

How are they still there? Your fish didn't eat them, or did you move them?

EDIT - Just read you moved your other fish, sorry. Good luck with this spawn. I'm hoping to spawn my bronze corys once the disease gets cleared up.

How are they still there? Your fish didn't eat them, or did you move them?

EDIT - Just read you moved your other fish, sorry. Good luck with this spawn. I'm hoping to spawn my bronze corys once the disease gets cleared up.

That's ok :D Good luck on spawning your bronzes and I hope that they get well soon.

Thats a good sign to see them hatching :thumbs: The hardest part is making sure they have enough to eat. It will be a little bit harder in this case since you have the sand bottom. How many more have hatched now? Keep us updated. This is the first topic Ive seen with C. Panda fry.

Congratulations with your new-borns, and good luck raising them! Great pics btw. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back