New, Bigger Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

plaskotki

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have recently upgraded my tank from 60l to 180l. I have bought soem new fish.
At the mo I have:
3 golden gouramis,
1 mini pleco,
3 cherry barbs
2 2-dotted barbs
2 rams
3 sword tails
2 leopard danios
1 golden danio
1 sucking loach
I would like to add soemthing that would grow up to about 15-20cm. I like the chichild family, but as far as I know they would eat my smaller fish, which my boys would not be happy about!
Has anybody got any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. My local Pets at Home give me contradictory info...

Pets at home are not the best for fish info, in fact they tack rubbish sometimes :no:

Don't listen to staff at P@H!

I would add some more barbs and danios first as they prefer larger groups. Then maybe have a look though th fish index and see what takes your fancy for a centerpirce fish.

I would add some more barbs and danios first as they prefer larger groups. Then maybe have a look though th fish index and see what takes your fancy for a centerpirce fish.

Thanks for the advice. I have just discovered that my danios have been attacked and I have not got a clue by which fish :angry:
The female lost her upper lip and the male one the caudal fin. I don't know what to do. I do not have anywhere to transfer them.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the advice. I have just discovered that my danios have been attacked and I have not got a clue by which fish :angry:
The female lost her upper lip and the male one the caudal fin. I don't know what to do. I do not have anywhere to transfer them.
Any ideas?

Well, I suggest you get a breeding net (biggest you can find), if you can't get a small hospital/quarantine tank.

I would suspect either the Gourami, Barbs, or Swordtails to have been the culprits.

my barbs were being fin pickers until i added 6 more to top off at 10, now they just school all happy like

as for a centerpiece, im not sure of compatablility so somebody else please comment on this, but maybe a rainbow shark or rtbs? aggressive sometimes but if theres caves it will be a great centerpiece, just check compatability tho..

Murph

my barbs were being fin pickers until i added 6 more to top off at 10, now they just school all happy like

Yep. Read many articles about Barbs being harmless in bigger schools...
Which barbs do you mean guys? I have had these fish since november and they lived happily. Never had a problem...
Is it the new tank syndrom that could set them off to become wild????

Hi there,
At the mo I have:
3 golden gouramis,
1 mini pleco,
3 cherry barbs
2 2-dotted barbs
2 rams
3 sword tails
2 leopard danios
1 golden danio
1 sucking loach
I would like to add soemthing that would grow up to about 15-20cm. I like the chichild family, but as far as I know they would eat my smaller fish, which my boys would not be happy about!
Has anybody got any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. My local Pets at Home give me contradictory info...

180 litres = 47.55 US gallons, which gives you a fair amount of space to play around with, however your current stocking as it is is not ideal and needs some working on before you start deciding on new fish.

The barbs and danio's are shoaling fish and really need to be in groups at least 6 or more to thrive, in numbers too small they will become stressed and behave unaturally. So the first thing you need to do is increase their numbers to at least these numbers, so they look like this;

6 cherry barbs
6 2-dotted barbs
6 leopard danios
6 golden danios

As far as i am aware there is no such fish as a 2-dotted barb, petshops often mislable fish or give them false names, which is one of the reasons why it is so important to do your own thorough research before you even go to the petshop. Can you describe the appearance of this barb please? If you do not know what fish you have exactly, then you cannot safely know that you are looking after them properly, so it is very important to know exactly what sorts of fish you have and their true names etc :nod: .

There isn't any such thing as a "mini pleco" either, however there are a lot of types of plecos sold in lfs, some of the most commonly sold ones are,

Common pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...p?species_id=88

Sailfin pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=148

Bristlenose pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...p?species_id=49

Does you pleco look anything like the ones in the links above? Its important to find out what pleco you have, as although they look cute when small, many types of plecos can grow to monster sizes, even over 2ft long.

Do you know what genders are your swordtails?

Does your "sucking loach" look anything like the fish below (since sucking loach is a common name given to a variety of fish, it is a very vague common name);

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile47.html

?

Hi there,
At the mo I have:
3 golden gouramis,
1 mini pleco,
3 cherry barbs
2 2-dotted barbs
2 rams
3 sword tails
2 leopard danios
1 golden danio
1 sucking loach

180 litres = 47.55 US gallons, which gives you a fair amount of space to play around with, however your current stocking as it is is not ideal and needs some working on before you start deciding on new fish.

The barbs and danio's are shoaling fish and really need to be in groups at least 6 or more to thrive, in numbers too small they will become stressed and behave unaturally. So the first thing you need to do is increase their numbers to at least these numbers, so they look like this;

6 cherry barbs
6 2-dotted barbs
6 leopard danios
6 golden danios

As far as i am aware there is no such fish as a 2-dotted barb, petshops often mislable fish or give them false names, which is one of the reasons why it is so important to do your own thorough research before you even go to the petshop. Can you describe the appearance of this barb please? If you do not know what fish you have exactly, then you cannot safely know that you are looking after them properly, so it is very important to know exactly what sorts of fish you have and their true names etc :nod: .

There isn't any such thing as a "mini pleco" either, however there are a lot of types of plecos sold in lfs, some of the most commonly sold ones are,

Common pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...p?species_id=88

Sailfin pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=148

Bristlenose pleco;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...p?species_id=49

Does you pleco look anything like the ones in the links above? Its important to find out what pleco you have, as although they look cute when small, many types of plecos can grow to monster sizes, even over 2ft long.

Do you know what genders are your swordtails?

Does your "sucking loach" look anything like the fish below (since sucking loach is a common name given to a variety of fish, it is a very vague common name);

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile47.html

?
Thanks for your message. Mu sucking loach is called Gyrinocheilus aymoneri
and my minipleco http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus...enus_id=82#1299 Species (2)-well, I have gone through all of the pictures and mine looks like this one. In the LFS they told me it only grows up to 8cm.
Not sure about the 2-dotted barbs. They have 2 black dots on their bodies and they are 6cm long.

The pleco you gave in the link is a type of bristlenose, it is a rare type of bristlenose pleco, yours is likely to be a more ocmmon one of its close relatives- most plecos will grow to at least 6inches long, the smaller ones tend to be rather expensive and a lot less common than the larger growing varieties.

Be very wary about the Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, which is commonly known as a chinese algae eater (or CAE for short), these fish are notorious for getting very agressive and territorial as they mature, they will attack most types of fish as they mature and won't even eat much algae as much when they get older.

What colour are your barbs?

Do you know the genders of your swordtails?

Never rely on petshop advice, most petshop staff are very poorly trained/educated when it comes to fish, and will tell any pack of myths to sell you a fish. You should always do your own thorough research using the internet or up-to-date books before you go down to the petshop to help prevent a variety of problems happening, like being sold fish which you do not know what they are etc :nod: .

The pleco you gave in the link is a type of bristlenose, it is a rare type of bristlenose pleco, yours is likely to be a more ocmmon one of its close relatives- most plecos will grow to at least 6inches long, the smaller ones tend to be rather expensive and a lot less common than the larger growing varieties.

Be very wary about the Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, which is commonly known as a chinese algae eater (or CAE for short), these fish are notorious for getting very agressive and territorial as they mature, they will attack most types of fish as they mature and won't even eat much algae as much when they get older.

What colour are your barbs?

Do you know the genders of your swordtails?

Never rely on petshop advice, most petshop staff are very poorly trained/educated when it comes to fish, and will tell any pack of myths to sell you a fish. You should always do your own thorough research using the internet or up-to-date books before you go down to the petshop to help prevent a variety of problems happening, like being sold fish which you do not know what they are etc :nod: .
Hi,
I have one male and 2 females.

Most reactions

trending

Back