The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cicirose97

Reaction score
Hello all
I got my first betta yesterday!
untitled_by_cicirose97-dalfq5a.jpg

I've been successful with only goldfish in the past, and I wanted to try something new. A friend recommended a betta for their hardiness and beauty, so thats what I got!
He is a male Crowntail. Right now he is living in a 5 gallon tank with one live plant, one black Mystery Snail, a aqueon quietflow filter, a small halloween themed decor cave, and the cup/bowl thing he came in from petsmart (turned sideways and partially buried in the gravel substrate). There is around 2 cm of clearance between the water surface and the lid (which I only put on when I am gone as it is opaque and greatly reduces the light his tank gets), and the filter return is submerged. I am feeding a few "Zoo Med Micro Floating Betta Food" pellets a day, along with perhaps a weekly cook pea (this was suggested by a website I searched but I haven't given it yet because I wasn't really sure?). This is set up on my desk.
untitled_by_cicirose97-dalfq4x.jpg

I am a bit worried about him in general, because as I said before I have never gotten a fish other than goldfish to live very long. Does anyone have personal tips for betta care?
Is my glass too reflective? I worry that he continually sees his reflection and may be stressed because of the presence of "another male".
He seems duller in color now than when he was bought. Is this normal? Will his color return when he is settled?

Good news! Betta's are must easier to keep than goldfish. Bio load is tiny compared to goldfish. Is your tank cycling?

My Betta used to flare at his reflection for a while, but eventually he either figured out it was him or got bored? He probably just needs to settle in. Good luck!

Your biggest issue right now is that your tank, being new, probably isn't what we call 'cycled'.

A cycled tank has good bacteria living in the filter; those bacteria eat the fish's wastes and stop the water becoming toxic.

You urgently need to get some test kits so you can monitor the levels of toxins (ammonia and nitrite) and do enough water changes to keep them as near to zero as possible. You'll probably need liquid or tablet tests, as most paper dip types don't test for ammonia.

A build up of toxins in the water could be making your fish feel a bit sick, and that could be why he's losing a bit of colour. Until you get some test kits, change at least half the water, every day, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

Your tank is also a bit bare for a betta; they like a lot of things to hide in and swim around and it makes them feel safer. Lack of hiding places could also be another reason why he's paler than he was; he's trying to blend in! Live plants would be best as they won't hurt your fish and they help (a little) with water quality too.

Peas are good for fish; cook them lightly and then squeeze the insides out from the 'shell'. The 'shell' is too tough for most fish to eat.

Incidentally, goldfish should live for around 20-25 years, so yours might not have being doing as well as you thought...

That's nice to hear! I hope he figures the reflection out so he doesn't feel threatened.

I'm actually not sure if my tank is cycling right now or not. While the fish has just been added yesterday, the tank has been running empty with partial water changes for a week now. I will get some water testing supplies though- are these sold at most commercial pet stores?
What other than live plants are good for enrichment? I don't want to add too many of those at once, so I can make sure they are healthy and will grow in the tank, not die and rot in his water. I'm glad you can confirm the pea thing though- I will give him one at his next feeding.
As to the goldfish- yikes. I was told my comet goldfish would live 5-10 years and the few I had did around 8 in my larger tank (had a 20 gallon until the bottom busted during a full cleaning), so I thought I was doing well. A little sad to hear that.

If you just added the fish yesterday, than the cycle has just begun. Get a liquid test kit for accuracy and monitor the water and keep up with water changes and your better should be fine =)

Ravenxcore is right; a cycle won't start until there is a source of ammonia; in this case your fish. We normally recommend 'fishless' cycles, where you use household cleaning ammonia to give the bacteria something to feed on.

Silk plants are great; avoid plastic as they can catch in the betta's fins and tear them.

Ah, okay.
Are wooden decors and cave type things a good idea for betta? Or plastic molded decors? I didn't think to take the fins delicateness into account when buying the pumpkin tree thing

Hi, nice betta you have there, one thing I have also noticed is you don't appear to have a heater? bettas are tropical fish and will require one kept at around 78-80f he may be pale also because he is cold, you will need a thermometer to keep check of this, the tank is a nice size and once filled with plants I am sure the betta will be much happier for you, good job in getting him out of those horrid cups.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back