Video New bed

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Finally got all babies moved into new tank with new sand substrate and new plants . Delighted with the sand after changing from gravel in my 15 gallon to this 29 gallon . Hopefully all makes it through the night ! :)

Attachments

• 20200822_214348.jpg
    20200822_214348.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 51
I put have my old filter with the old media in my new tank aswell as the new filter to transfer bacteria . How long should I leave the old one in because I'm selling it with the old tank ?

I put have my old filter with the old media in my new tank aswell as the new filter to transfer bacteria . How long should I leave the old one in because I'm selling it with the old tank ?

You can transfer the media from old filter to the new filter, or swap the filter media around.

That way it frees up the old filter for you to sell with the other tank.

And the established media bacteria from old filter will be fine and bacteria will then spread to the surfaces of the new filter.

You mean just stuff the old small media in to new filter aswell as the new media ?

Attachments

• 20200823_194620.jpg
    20200823_194620.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 40
I would put the old media in the new filter then pack round it with the media thatc ame with the new filter. As you intend selling the old filter with the old tank, just say the buyer will need new media as yours was very old and not in good condition. Or if you you want to sell the filter with media, buy new media for it.

I have a spare new media for the old filter so that will work for me thanks . Just one more question, is the outlet for the filter supposed to be above or below the water line ?or does it matter ,the new filter was very noisy when I put it above

It depends on the filter. I have internals with the outflow just under the water surface.

I set my internal filter to be above the water line...that helps aerate the tank. I do the same for my HOB filters.

It's that big one there . So it's fine just bellow water line ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200823-212607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200823-212607_Chrome.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 40
The important thing is that the outflow pushes water along the surface. As long as yours does that, it doesn't matter of it's just above or just below. The photos suggests that the motor is at the bottom of the filter? If it is, it can be either, it's filters with pumps right at the top like mine which must have the impeller well totally submerged that need to be just under the surface.

I set my internal filter to be above the water line...that helps aerate the tank. I do the same for my HOB filters.
That was my thinking to . But it was making alot of noise and splashing so moved it down . Might move it back up when the flow slows down when it fills up with a bit of bacteria

The important thing is that the outflow pushes water along the surface. As long as yours does that, it doesn't matter of it's just above or just below. The photos suggests that the motor is at the bottom of the filter? If it is, it can be either, it's filters with pumps right at the top like mine which must have the impeller well totally submerged that need to be just under the surface.
Yes the motor is at the bottom it works if it's up real high or totally submerged. So as long as its moving water on the surface which it is . That's great thanks

Most reactions

Back