New Aquatic Pet, But Its Not A Fish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think it's lovely addition to your tank.

Abit off topic but: CFC just wondering how you do water changes on your tank? Also how much water do you remove and how often? I imagine with 900 gallons you could fill a bath with a water change.

I could fill a couple of bath tubs and a bit more with each water change :lol: I change out 200 gallons every weekend and usually around 90 gallons during the week if i have a spare couple of hours.

Water changes are easy, i remove the water using a length of 25mm plastic pipe and then fill the tank up again from a hose, the whole operation takes around 2 hours from start to finish.

I'm so tempted to do that with my 90 gallons, I know its not alot to some but slugging a total of 10 5 gallon buckets a week really gets annoying (through numerous rooms and sometimes up steps, then lifting the buckets to tank level grrr).

So would I basically buy a length of hosepipe (or say fish friendly tubing - would have to be around 50ft lenth I would say), start the syphon, drain how much I want, stop the syphon. Connect the end of the tubing to the taps (I presume theres a 'mixer' so I can have both hot and cold water to get the temperature I want), add dechlorinator (to volume of the whole tank), and simply refill?.

I'm so tempted to do that with my 90 gallons, I know its not alot to some but slugging a total of 10 5 gallon buckets a week really gets annoying (through numerous rooms and sometimes up steps, then lifting the buckets to tank level grrr).

So would I basically buy a length of hosepipe (or say fish friendly tubing - would have to be around 50ft lenth I would say), start the syphon, drain how much I want, stop the syphon. Connect the end of the tubing to the taps (I presume theres a 'mixer' so I can have both hot and cold water to get the temperature I want), add dechlorinator (to volume of the whole tank), and simply refill?.
Mixing to get the right temp doesn't really matter unless your doing water changes more than 40%, and thats in the winter when the water comes out colder.
A 'python' is what you're looking for, it fits to most taps and there are 25ft and 50ft versions.By turning different valves you can make it drain (straight into the sink) and then fill the tank.I still need to get one :rolleyes: .

CFC, could you get a video of the turtle and fishes feeding (similar to the one you did a while back)? I would love to see your inhabitants in action again, especially the new arrival.

i envy you! :drool: i wish they weren't so expensive and hard to find. how would a spotted soft shell do with large fish?

CFC, could you get a video of the turtle and fishes feeding (similar to the one you did a while back)? I would love to see your inhabitants in action again, especially the new arrival.

I'll see what i can do, the turtle doesnt eat very much and seem to preffer munching on its vegetables over night but it does like the JMC catfish pellets so i might be able to get it to eat some of those.

i envy you! :drool: i wish they weren't so expensive and hard to find. how would a spotted soft shell do with large fish?

Mixing any other species of turtle with fish is exteemly risky, Fly River turtles are mainly vegetarian and will ignore all but the smallest of fish but all other species will try and bite pieces out of any fish that come near, and there have even been cases of the Fly River turtles biting fish so even this isnt entirely risk free.

Couldn't have gone to a better home. I wish all neglected animals had the same chance. Fully respect the work Iain and others are doing.

where is the pictures of video's of your giant tank? I'm interested to hear the story behind it..

Most reactions

trending

Back