New Aquarium Light Buzzing

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Ive just set up my new tank and the flourescent light fixture that came with it is making a very annoying buzzing sound constintly. None of my other tanks have done this so Im wondering if something is wrong and maybe I could take it back to exchange it, or will they look at me like im crazy as it may be considered normal?

Thanks
 
Ive just set up my new tank and the flourescent light fixture that came with it is making a very annoying buzzing sound constintly. None of my other tanks have done this so Im wondering if something is wrong and maybe I could take it back to exchange it, or will they look at me like im crazy as it may be considered normal?

Thanks

Its the tube which is buzzing just take back the tube itself and ask them to exchange it. Had that problem before once :)
 
Ill test it right now with a tube from my old tank but I was just over there admiring the new tank and smelt something odd. Went a lil closer to the vent area on the top of the light fixture and it smells odd, like an over heating burning smell.... The light has only been on for about 30 mins.
 
Just tried a diffirint bulb and its still buzzing... grrr I guess I will try to bring it back tomarrow and see what they say. Something definitly is up if Im getting that burning plastic/over heating smell.
 
I have a strip light that buzzes. I've never thought too much about it, it's been running fine.

Edit: I just inspected my buzzing light. Its over 5 years old, and the white part inside it is held in by wire nuts and duck tape :blush:. If your fixture is brand new I'd go get a new non-buzzing one, I mean thats what you paid for.
 
i got the same buzzing, flickering, and burnt plastic smell after turning on the 14-watt cfl bulb in my incandescent hood. the hood was only rated for a 25-watt incandescent bulb, so i was way over the limit. maybe that's the case with your situation too.
 
If you hear a buzzing sound that is not the light, check to make sure the ballast is properly fastened to the fixture. Any looseness will show up as a very irritating buzzing noise.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top