The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GatorJAB

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

While i've been in aquaria for maybe 20 years I've recently downsized from a 150 FOWLR to a 90. It's been years since i've set a tank up but this one is 90 drilled with Sump with dual bags, Eshopps PSK200, Mag 12 down below. In the tank is a 2" live sand bed, about 40 lbs base rock, two Koralia1050's and one Koralia 1400. Basic t12 lighting ( 2 x 10,000 and 2 actinic ) these are my first plan to upgrade. 

Here are a couple of questions I would appreciate your comments.

1) Is the mag12 too much pump? I figure it will turn about 800 gallons an hour at 5' head ( there are no elbows from pump to return except of course the elbow at the actual return.

2) Are the Koralia's too much? again 2 x 1050's and 1 x 1400 = 3500 gph flow in the tank.

3) If I decide to stay fish only for a little while is this WAY too much flow for the fish?

*** 3500 + 800 = 4,300 GPH flow or turning a 90 gallon tank over 47 times an hour? *** 

*** is that the right way to calculate? ***
4) Lights - looking at T5 with 4 x 65w ( 2 x 10000 and 2 x actinic ) or LED?

5) Glass hoods - tank currently doesn't have any. Is there any value / problem to not having one? Is there any value / problem to having them?

6) Cheato in sump - good or bad?

Current live stock is a 3" yellow tang, 2" blue tang, and two x 1" Percula Clowns along with some snails and hermit crabs.

Tank is stable and appreciate your comments.

Attachments

• low res.jpg
    low res.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 194
1) Is the mag12 too much pump? I figure it will turn about 800 gallons an hour at 5' head ( there are no elbows from pump to return except of course the elbow at the actual return.

Well...to me the Mag12 is a lot of pump for a 90 but that does depend on what's in it. Same with the Koralia. Looking at the photo you don't have a lot of rock so nothing to really break up the flow other than the glass. 

2) Are the Koralia's too much? again 2 x 1050's and 1 x 1400 = 3500 gph flow in the tank.

Same as above

3) If I decide to stay fish only for a little while is this WAY too much flow for the fish?

Same as above ;)

4) Lights - looking at T5 with 4 x 65w ( 2 x 10000 and 2 x actinic ) or LED?

For me it's LED all the way. I use lighting from Aqua Illuminations and have been very satisfied. 

5) Glass hoods - tank currently doesn't have any. Is there any value / problem to not having one? Is there any value / problem to having them?

I don't recommend glass hoods as they hold in heat. I use a screen top for mine. 

6) Cheato in sump - good or bad?

That depends. With a fish only system I really wouldn't bother. With reef I like to have algae in my sump but I use C. taxifolia instead. I've had trouble growing cheato over the years but caulerpa does well. The balance to pH makes macro worth it in my experience let alone the benefits of nutrient control and pod breeding. 

Thanks Eagle and tcamos. The equipment is mostly left from the 180 I just moved out. I do have the return pump throttled to about 2/3 capacity. I've got a mag 7 as well but i'm not sure if that's enough pump. i'm trying to find a mag 9 but until then it is what it is. Yes also on the Koralia's. Again they were from my 180. I may go to CL or the forum and see if anyone wants to put a trade together for my pump and waves for a better fit with a mag 9 and some 450's or something.

Thanks again.

A mag 7 is 700 GPH, then you have Koralia pumps. That's quite a bit of flow right there. Just based on head loss I would say the mag 9 would likely be better though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back