New... again... starting over

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Started here a long time ago. I have disappeared and come back several times. I guess I will always come back.
last time I left my Dad died then my Mom got sick. During her battle we found out my daughter had brain cancer. Lost my Mom then lost my daughter then went through a divorce... ( trying to keep it short)
I am starting new because I lost everything fish related during divorce. He hated fish but knew I loved them so... you know how that goes.
I am missing my tanks so much. The withdrawals are real! MTS does not like no tanks at all!
So I am back and will hopefully have a tank again sometime soon. For now I will be watching everyone else’s.
maybe I will find a used one somewhere close so I can speed up the process otherwise it will be a long wait. New tanks have gotten really expensive.
ok so after all that... me... MTS, veggie farm in the yard, and ride around in an International prostar with flatbed. And love dogs and planted tanks but am sadly without either one right now.

Welcome back to the Tropical Fish Forums. Look on Cragislist for a good used setup. There are some real bargains to be had on Craigslist. Hope you get back in the hobby soon.

Thank you
I have been checking trying to find something close enough to pick up. I really want a 40 breeder. Never had one that size and it would give me room to plant without being huge.
this is the longest I have ever been without a tank. It has been 2 years. I know me. I will get a 10 if I have to. It is better than nothing.

Thank you
I thought I had found a tank but it didn’t work out. So still hunting. Hopefully soon though.

I now have a 20 long and a 10... tanks only. It is a start. Now I have to find lids and gear.
still hoping to find something bigger though 😀

Started here a long time ago. I have disappeared and come back several times. I guess I will always come back.
last time I left my Dad died then my Mom got sick. During her battle we found out my daughter had brain cancer. Lost my Mom then lost my daughter then went through a divorce... ( trying to keep it short)
I am starting new because I lost everything fish related during divorce. He hated fish but knew I loved them so... you know how that goes.
I am missing my tanks so much. The withdrawals are real! MTS does not like no tanks at all!
So I am back and will hopefully have a tank again sometime soon. For now I will be watching everyone else’s.
maybe I will find a used one somewhere close so I can speed up the process otherwise it will be a long wait. New tanks have gotten really expensive.
ok so after all that... me... MTS, veggie farm in the yard, and ride around in an International prostar with flatbed. And love dogs and planted tanks but am sadly without either one right now.
Wow, my condolences on you losses. I have an old 30 gallon if your anywhere near Northern IL. Maybe a 40 breeder too...I forget, lol. Both hold water. Can have for $1 gallon. 30 has a lid and wood trim. Always happy to help with MTS, have many tanks myself

BTW glass has become expensive hence the increase cost of tanks. Also COVID killed manufacturing and transportation of existing products, also jacking up prices and reducing supplies.

I am in Arkansas on the Louisiana line.
I may have found a 55 and 40 close to here. I am waiting for a response to find out where and when to go see them and hopefully bring them home.
mts in full bloom 😀

Deal fell through on the other tanks but I have found a 55 that I should be able to pick up the end of the month. It is old but still in good shape according to the owner.

how old is too old? It is 15 years old but doesn’t leak. tank and stand for $100. Is that fair or should I keep looking?
Thanks for helping me.

Has it been filled for the whole 15 years? How do the seams look-silicone nice and full or chipped away/discolored? Nice deal with the stand, but you may need to reseal it-which isn't a big deal. To be honest I prefer the footprint of a 75 to a 55, its 18" wide vs the 13" on the 55, lol but its your tank :lol:

I wish I could go bigger but space is an issue. I really need a 40 breeder. 55 is pushing it.
I know it has been empty a while but don’t know how long. I haven’t got to go see it yet. The owner is not in the states right now.

Welcome back to the hobby. Glass is never the problem and deals can be found for less than $1 per gallon. It's the stand and lighting that will run 50% of your total cost.... look for those at a bargain and you will save on the total cost. At retail prices, you are looking at about $15-20/gallon to set something up (without the fish). Your story is very familiar to me and I am also just restarting. Set up my 1st 29g for about $550 (lights, stand, tank, filter, heater, everything including a dozen plants). Only a month later, and I am already setting up an identical 2nd 29G for about $450 (found a couple of slightly better deals and discounts). These are set-ups for my main living room, so I needed them to be presentable, otherwise I would have just used cheap stacked cinder blocks and 2x4 lumber to support the aquariums. I do have an older 75 gallon tank, but the wooden stand is badly damaged on one corner (kids and horseplay) and I did not want to spend $400+ to replace it (I'll eventually fix it myself for when I want to start up a larger 3rd tank). In my divorce, I lost my 150g and dozens of 5g, 10g, 20g aquariums and a few 40B's plus all of the hoods, filters, heaters, etc (the things that really add up). I miss my old basement fish room, but starting again after 20 years will be fun. I just had to put my 2 dogs down within the last 6 months, so needed to find something else to occupy my time again.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back