New 40 gallon tank (Community tank)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The consensus that angelfish cannot work in this tank is correct, but no one has yet explained it so I will try. Before that, never combine angelfish and gourami, they are too much alike in temperament, establishing territories, etc.

Angelfish are a shoaling species. They live in groups, not as numerous as other shoaling species like characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish), Corydoras, and others, but they need the group. They will establish an hierarchy. In suitably large tanks this usually works, though there are no guarantees. But in very large tanks, just as in nature, the subordinate fish can easily "get out of the way" of the dominant fish, and especially when a pair forms. With one exception, you cannot keep this fish in anything under four-feet (120 cm) in length, and even that length will usually become inadequate if a pair should form. In smallish tanks including a 4-foot, the dominant male can easily kill off all rivals, male and female. The exception is if you have a bonded mated pair. This fish must select their mates from the shoal, and bond; any male and any female tossed in together are unlikely to bond, though it can sometimes (rarely) happen. And keeping a single angelfish is something I do not recommend because I do not believe in deliberately keeping a fish contrary to its needs and expectations, this is simply put, inhumane.
Alright yeah i understand...
Could you give me some options for this size tank, Keep in mind i would like to create a community tank.

The angelfish would eat the neon tetras for a quick snack. They are not compatible.

Alright first off i did the math wrong its a 40Gal tank 150L the PH is at 7.0 and my nitrate is like 12 almost maybe a little lower its pretty low... my ammonia is at almost 0 im not sure what the GH is i have never tested that and i do not know how too...
I would really like to put angelfish in this tank, but if it is to small i may have to refrain from that, honey Gourami i heard are pretty peaceful with the angels if they are in a group, but cory`s up to 10 with 10 tetras with the 2 angel fish maybe a singular Gourami (Pearl or something) as on alternative to the honey gourami? and a singular bristle nose.
If you're in the UK I know water companies publish water supply parameters online so you can find the GH of your local water supply this way

How about dwarf cichlids? Apistogramma are manageable in a 3 foot so are Discrossus, Laetacara or Nannacara. If you want to go for gourami I would stick with the honeys rather than the pearls but that would be an instead of the cichlids rather than as well
Wills

How about dwarf cichlids? Apistogramma are manageable in a 3 foot so are Discrossus, Laetacara or Nannacara. If you want to go for gourami I would stick with the honeys rather than the pearls but that would be an instead of the cichlids rather than as well
Wills
I don`t think im up for cichlids. but i think i might go the honeys yes.

I live in QLD cant find anything about GH?
Which area in particular?
Screenshot_20200707_115500.jpg

Ah ok.. where is Aus? Theres something here for Sydney for example.. so might be something for other areas
LOL. Aus is short for Australia. Go to planet Earth and it's in the southern hemisphere on the opposite side of the globe to the USA.

LOL. Aus is short for Australia. Go to planet Earth and it's in the southern hemisphere on the opposite side of the globe to the USA.
Pretty sure he meant where in Aus. We all know its a tiny little country :rofl:, but that doesn't mean the water is the same everywhere

Pretty sure he meant where in Aus. We all know its a tiny little country :rofl:, but that doesn't mean the water is the same everywhere
Tiny little country. pfft. Tasmania is bigger than the UK and Australia is slightly bigger than the US.

If you ever come to Aus, I will take you for a drive to meet a few chocodiles and some taipans. I might even find a drop bear for you to meet :devil:

Tiny little country. pfft. Tasmania is bigger than the UK and Australia is slightly bigger than the US.

If you ever come to Aus, I will take you for a drive to meet a few chocodiles and some taipans. I might even find a drop bear for you to meet :devil:
You don't want me there Colin. Last time I was in QLD everyone told me how they had no rain for 8 years. Ended up evacuating loads of people due to flooding and upsetting me by closing Frasier Island and the GBR. Never been to WA but I do know exactly how big the country is ;)

Can I meet Brutus the saltwater crocodile?

I don't know who Brutus is but there are thousands of chocodiles here. If you want to get up close and personal with them, simply go in the water up north :(

*NB*… nobody should go in the water up north. You shouldn't even go close to the water if you are in crocodile territory because you will get killed. People get taken every year and most of them are tourists.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back