Need To Wipe Out The Ramshorn/pest Snails!

windhopper

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK well, i got some apple snails in my tank, and i think that when they came some ramshorns hitched a lift inside one of the shells. Issue is something is decimating my anubias (destroyed a leaf in 12 hours) and in a planted tank its the last thing i want! So now the hard part, i know i need to add something with copper in it to get rid of the ramshorns/pests but it will also affect the apples. So i can take out the apples, and then what do i do? Add something like protozin which contains copper? But if i do that will it ever be safe for the apples to go back in? Im in such a pickle HELP ME PLEASE!!

ramshorn snails should not eat plants (mind dont)

i wouldnt go killing them unless you want a massive ammonia spike

Ramshorn snails will eat any vegetation. Are you sure you dont have Apples?

Also problem is they arent big enough to see well so i wouldnt have much other choice i dont think

ive got ramshorns, and my plants are untouched, not apples because i hate them lol, grow too big, are you sure the holes are not being cause by a nitrogen deficiency?

ive got ramshorns, and my plants are untouched, not apples because i hate them lol, grow too big, are you sure the holes are not being cause by a nitrogen deficiency?

I could have understood that when i wasnt using ferts but i am and nitrates never fall below 5ppm. And its not single holes, it looks like the leaf has been ripped to shredds

Ramshorns don't eat usually healthy leaves. I have hundreds of them in my planted tank and the plants are fine. IME apple snails are more likely to eat plant leaves! (but that's still very rare).

I find it very, very hard to imagine ramshorns being capable of eating a healthy tough Anubias leaf.

What lighting do you have and where is the Anubias situated in the tank?

Also, are your other plants doing well?

1ml !!! :lol:

i dose 5ml a day on my tank and planting is scarce.

what your substrate coverage?

Not massively covered but i want the plants to spread out. And btw im following the dosage on the bottle!

And to three-fingers: Now that you mention it a few of my crypts look like they have a few holes in, and there is a plant (i forget what its called) which is small and has crimped leaves and is a foreground that seems to be getting decimated aswell :/ And i dont understand why my anubias is being decimated either especially as its such a good grower in the tank.
The anubias is in the center and the l;ighting is 2 t8's 18 w

1ml !!! :lol:

i dose 5ml a day on my tank and planting is scarce.

what your substrate coverage?

Not massively covered but i want the plants to spread out. And btw im following the dosage on the bottle!

And to three-fingers: Now that you mention it a few of my crypts look like they have a few holes in, and there is a plant (i forget what its called) which is small and has crimped leaves and is a foreground that seems to be getting decimated aswell :/ And i dont understand why my anubias is being decimated either especially as its such a good grower in the tank.
The anubias is in the center and the l;ighting is 2 t8's 18 w
take the instructions with a pinch of salt, i must dose a good 25ml a week more than twice the recommended amount for my tank, just remember over dosing wont hurt ;)

take the instructions with a pinch of salt, i must dose a good 25ml a week more than twice the recommended amount for my tank, just remember over dosing wont hurt ;)

So if i overdose its not gonna kill my fish off? Or increase my algae? (they are probably two stupid questions but oh well)

Having any algae issues?

Are the crypts new?

What size of tank is it too? (so it can be related to the lighting :)).

Could just be not enough ferts as truck is suggesting, I'd try upping dosage. But lets see if it's something else first :).

Was the front plant Pogostemon helferi?

Having any algae issues?

Are the crypts new?

What size of tank is it too? (so it can be related to the lighting :) ).

Could just be not enough ferts as truck is suggesting, I'd try upping dosage. But lets see if it's something else first :) .

Was the front plant Pogostemon helferi?

The crypts have been in the tank for about a month id say. The plant at the front is pogostemon helferi (however mine looks very poor incomparison to what it should)

The tank is 80X35X45 cm and is 120 litres (ish)

As for algae i have noticed it growing on the sides of the tank, on the anubias leaves and crypt leaves.

Other plants are: Vallis, Twisted Vallis, Java Moss, Amazon Frogbit. All these are fine

Most reactions

Back