Need Some Plant Suggestions For My New Betta Tank!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

just get some driftwood easy
yes bettas like drift wood, however the tank isnt yet cycled
good.gif

If you work in a pet store which sells fish you can take some mature media from the shops filter system to use in your filter, that way you can add your Betta striaght away.

I bought my ammonia from Ace Hardware as suggested by others. It's a 10% janitorial solution. Think it was $6 for a gallon. They sell quarts, but they were out when I went.

I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank. My substrate is a mix of flourite black sand and a very small amount of regular gravel. My plants did not like having only gravel as the substrate, but it seems some people can grow plants in anything :) I was not that lucky. I've kept cambomba pretty well. My fish loves to swim between it. I also have dwarf hairgrass and java moss floating around. It never really carpeted like I intended, but he likes to play with it. I also have a moss ball in there that has survived pretty well. I have found the large leaf plants don't do that well in such a small tank. No matter what I've done, they've always managed to perish. That might be my lack of knowledge rather than the tank limitations, but I haven't had luck. That is why I'm upgrading to a 10 gallon tank for him soon. That way I can add more leafy plants.

a tank will not cycle in a week, you need the filter to grow enough bacteria to cope with the ammonia your tank, your fish might do well for a week then you will be left wondering why hes dying, please read the link in my signature it explains fishless cycling (reccomended) and fish in cycling
as for the heater, as long as the tank is around the 26-28 0c mark its fine
Why wait for the bacteria to grow? I have a bag of beneficial bacteria I use and it cycles tanks in like a day.

I recommend getting a marimo moss ball. They are extremely good for your water, and bettas love them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back