Need help with Betta breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jimbob1223

Reaction score
So I have bred and sold a few types of fish over the past few years but I wanted to try something more challenging as I have some extra time to do so in the near future. Breeding Bettas has been a dream of mine ever since I got into the hobby and now that I am educated on how to do so and I have most of the equipment, I need to find a breeding pair. right now the two Betta that I have are a blue Veiltail male with red ventral fins and a crowntail female who is whitish with pink fins. For those of you who have experience with Betta breeding, do you think these fish would make good looking babies? I don't want to end up with a bunch of deformed Betta fish because I can't imagine how hard the would be to sell. Thanks for reading and I hope that you can help me out.

Hi, the fish won't be deformed providing the parents are well but they will all be veiltail bettas which are the most common type so may not necessarily sell well if that is what you intend to do, they are likely to be all blue with red just like their dad, some may show crowntail traits and be combtails too. This was actually my first cross when I started to breed bettas so it is great to start on the easy types and then move on to more challenging but popular types such as halfmoons, plakats were my fave :) I no longer breed bettas as I can't devote the time to all the separate jarring and water changes anymore, it is the males that need to be jarred the females can all live together in a separate tank.

Breeding Betta's is very cool. A wonderful sight to behold. Be sure you have your source of plentiful live fry food available well in advance. Rotifers, microworms, BBS and whatever else that's small. And don't worry about selling them. Fish and pet shops will just give you store credit, so enjoy the experience your first time out.

Hi, Thanks to the both of you for the reply! I am very surprised by how the genes of one fish generally dominate the other, that is very interesting! For feeding the babies I will probably stick with micro worms and baby brine shrimp as I personally find them the easiest. again thanks for the replies, I am sure they will help me with my breeding journey!

Betta fry are too small to take newly hatched brineshrimp or microworms from day one. You need green water, infusoria or boiled egg yolk. The following link has information about culturing foods for baby fish.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

---------------------------
Bettas are no different to any other fish when it comes to genetics. Some of the babies will look like the father, some will look like the mother, some will fall in between, and some will look like their wild ancestors.

Betta fry are too small to take newly hatched brineshrimp or microworms from day one. You need green water, infusoria or boiled egg yolk. The following link has information about culturing foods for baby fish.

Bettas are no different to any other fish when it comes to genetics. Some of the babies will look like the father, some will look like the mother, some will fall in between, and some will look like their wild ancestors.
Ok, thanks. I've made infusoria before so that should be easy. It really shows how small betta fry are considering they can't even eat baby brine shrimp!

True about the infusoria and etc. but have it ready and lots of it. You will need the BBS in a week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back