FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dawsss18

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got a 500 litre (roughly) fish tank, I've got a bunch of fish, the majority of which i know what they are. I was wondering if anyone could identity a few of my fish for me. (please see the youtube video - link below) 

•  the two pleco's - i think they are just common pleco's but be nice if someone could confirm what they are
  •  the 4 chiclids - i know one is a marbled convict chiclid, i think one is a jewel chiclid?? and another a chocolate chiclid? not sure though and the last one i have no idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsLnjP8WcOo

some other fish i've got are:

• 8-10 inch fire eel
  • black ghost knife
  • tinfoil barb
  • golden gourami
  • and a rainbow shark 

I dont know much about chiclids im afraid but thay whiteish looking eel fish with the "spikes" i think its a sengal birchir not 100% but i do know its a birchir

HHH said:
I dont know much about chiclids im afraid but thay whiteish looking eel fish with the "spikes" i think its a sengal birchir not 100% but i do know its a birchir

Oh yeah i forgot about that one, yeah i knew it was some kind of birchir, i thought maybe a curvier birchir? but dont actually know lol ... i've sold that one now though, as it wasn't a fish i wanted to keep (came free with the fish tank i bought lol) 

Thanks though (Y) 

im pretty sure the larger pleco is not a common, lots more like a salfin.

Senegal/Cuviers Birchir is the same thing...

The plecs look like a larger gibbiceps and a smaller common plec (I am unsure on these L numbers without looking them up lol)

The blue cichlid darting about is a Malawi cichlid and doesn't belong in that kind of community at all...

The Tinfoil barb doesn't look right, either it is just really over weight or it is becoming very stunted and needs a bigger tank already...

The dark brown cichlid does look like a juvenile chocolate cichlid but it is much darker in colouring already than they normally are so hard to tell.

The other odd looking cichlid looks like a Convict x Firemouth Cichlid Hybrid.

Lovely looking tank! Personally, I would advise rehoming one of the plecs as the tank just isn't big enough for two plecs that size, let alone two that have a lot more growing to do!

I would also consider swapping out the Tinfoil Barb as well, it really looks like it is stealing all the food and getting horribly fat which wont do it any favours but it means the Fire Eel is looking a bit on the skinny side and really very hungry, likely because the tinfoil ate its food!

A fire eel that side really needs to be eating good sized prawns, cockle, muscle and other chunky foods like that, bloodworm just wont cut it at that size and he will only snuffle up a little dried food if any at all, not enough for him to survive on for long.

Would also advise moving on the Malawi cichlid to a more suitable home with other malawis and consider other cichlids that would fit in with the large boisterous community. I personally love the gold or red spotted severums and you could always find your gourami a  couple of lady friends as well :)

Thanks MBOU, 

a lot of useful information there, really appreciate it. 

I was planning on selling one of the pleco's as they are both getting quite large! - not sure which to keep, the smaller one I've had since it was a baby so don't really want to get rid of this one,  the larger one I've had roughly 5 months (came with the fish tank) but looks really nice! hmm decisions.

The tinfoil barb does seem to be the first one to the food! once again this fish came with the tank so i'd be happy to get rid of it. I don't think it likes being on its own anyway, when i got the tank it had 2 other mates but they both died unfortunately.  

As for the fire eel, that's really quite helpful, i have been feeding it bloodwarms and normal tropical flakes, but will now give them prawns etc. (will the other fish try get these too or will they leave it for the fire eel?) - the fire eel aslo came with the tank. 

I'll also probably sell the Malawi cichlid if you think it shouldn't belong in this community. 

many thanks again, really helpful information! :) 

I think Mbou got most of them there but few to add - the black and orange striped one is a female Festae cichlid and the white one with black marks over it is a calico convict :)

I also think the brown one is a young Chocolate cichlid but looks pretty stressed out at the moment :( Give him time and they will come around.

Wills

Ahh never considered the festae... that makes much more sense! :)

thanks everyone, the cichlids have only been in there 3 days so they might be why it looks stressed? ... previous to my buying them 4 they all lived together in the same tank so should be used to each other? ... might be the tinfoil that's stressing them. going to take MBOU's advice and re-home some. and maybe get some new ones in (them that you suggested) 

does anyone know if my gravel is the wrong type for the fire eel? i've seen some videos on youtube and they seem to use soft sand instead of gravel, can someone advise me please? 

if i do need soft sand, will my other fish be ok with the softer sand

many thanks in advance! 

Soft sand would be better for the eel but fire eels seem to dig and bury less than other species and so long as the gravel is smooth, I found it didn't make too much difference.

The biggest thing is keeping it really clean as the eels are likely to pick up infections when sitting on dirty gravel!

MBOU said:
Soft sand would be better for the eel but fire eels seem to dig and bury less than other species and so long as the gravel is smooth, I found it didn't make too much difference.

The biggest thing is keeping it really clean as the eels are likely to pick up infections when sitting on dirty gravel!
thanks again... just thinking, what if i put an area of sand for the eel to burrow in if it wishes and keep the rest gravel? is is that just going to end up all mixed together? hmm maybe a silly idea haha 

i've just looked at the red spotted severums that you mentioned above, they are amazing!!! defiantly be looking into getting some of them!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back