Need help identifying Pelvicachromis teaniatus variant

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Need help identifying what variant these are?
IMG_0675.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0677.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0674.jpeg

If they are taeniatus, there are only two types in the hobby where I am - red and green.

If they are Pelvicachromis kribensis (NOT the hobby krib, which is pulcher) they are too stressed to tell. None of the identifying features are 'lit up'.

People here may know this already, but Dr Anton Lamboj took a look at all the Pelvicachromis a few years ago, and found out that the taeniatus in Cameroon were actually P. kribensis. The hobby krib has long been known to be P pulcher - someone screwed up naming an import early in the last century, and the wrong names stuck.
P. taeniatus are the not very popular Nigerian ones, and the most popular, the red, may be a linebred, unnatural form.
I was breeding "taeniatus" at the time, and once I used the correct name, kribensis, no one bought them anymore because they thought I was breeding common pulcher. Grrrr.
There are also P silviae, P sacrimontis yellow and red, roloffi and subocellatus.
The northern, larger, mean ones never seemed close to Pelvicachromis to me, and they were put in Wallaceochromis.

It's a mess, and is a source of confusion. As we learn more, we have to adapt, and most aquarists adapt slowly.

People here may know this already, but Dr Anton Lamboj took a look at all the Pelvicachromis a few years ago, and found out that the taeniatus in Cameroon were actually P. kribensis. The hobby krib has long been known to be P pulcher - someone screwed up naming an import early in the last century, and the wrong names stuck.
P. taeniatus are the not very popular Nigerian ones, and the most popular, the red, may be a linebred, unnatural form.
I was breeding "taeniatus" at the time, and once I used the correct name, kribensis, no one bought them anymore because they thought I was breeding common pulcher. Grrrr.
There are also P silviae, P sacrimontis yellow and red, roloffi and subocellatus.
The northern, larger, mean ones never seemed close to Pelvicachromis to me, and they were put in Wallaceochromis.

It's a mess, and is a source of confusion. As we learn more, we have to adapt, and most aquarists adapt slowly.
Here in Australia the 2 most common variants are Moliwe and Bandiwanri

All of that is exactly what I read in TFH . One other thing , if I’m not mistaken , is that not all of the Pelvicachromis are native to soft acidic waters . Some are hard alkaline water fish . They come from a big geographical area .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back