Need help identifying a disease

FishBazzar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My guppys have been getting these weird uniform strat lines on one side of theri body. The line is quite think and straight. The coloration is mostly whitish with a tiny bit of pink. No tissue decay just slight discoloration. Behaviour is slightly odd. I am not sure whether this is a fungus or something else. I am hoping to treat wiht melafix. Any ideas? By the way, not fuzzy.

P.S.

My Molly, after giving birth, came down with a pretty bad fungus. It almost has eaten away one of her right fins and is now on her main body. She is really strong ,but i am not sure how much longer she can survive. Hoping to treat with Melafix. I have been treating with some other anti-fungus crud ,but it doesn't seem to be working.

thanks

Just a guess, but sounds like early stages of Dropsy in your guppies :/ . Try sometinng like Discomed, or Maracyn 2.
For the Mollie I would recomend quarintine before treating with Melafix so that you aren't mixing meds.

Interpet range of meds are good. I used Fungus and finrot for my sword and it's really fast as it helped him over night, the fungus had almost gone by morning!!!

Melafix is ok but make sure there's enough airation though.

Thanks for the tips :)

I was just wondering why all my guppies are having problems but my mollies. platys, and chinese algae eaters are not? This morning I woke up to find the infected guppy dead and a random female. (this is seriously depressing me). I seriously want to give up raising guppies. So many have died!

I don't have any test kits but i think i will buy one just to make sure my parameters are ok. It is really puzzling when only one type of fish is getting sick and dying and you know its not from the other fish. Though maybe the mollies are stressing them up. My mollies are crazy.....always on the move!

P.s. >>>>>As a side note do you guys no a med which i can use to treat my whole tank for fungus to prevent any further infections?

The good news is that my infected molly looks to be getting better. I put her in a large plastic container, since i don't have any other tanks beside my 44 gal., and put this weird medication in. The med made the water turn really green. I left it like that over night, and when i woke up there was black pieces all over the tank. (evidently the fungus died and fell off!) there was alot of black stuff. Man it smelled! So i changed the water and am now hoping the fungus is gone and my fish can now heal.

I was recently told by a very experienced fish keeper and LFS owner that there is a disease that only affects guppies. I think he called it something like "Siamese Tail Disease". He said it's very virulent and is recently imported from the Far East.

I've lost several guppies to a disease that fit the description but thankfully the rest seem healthy. I think I introduced it to the tank when I bought my first batch of guppies - I noticed at the time that one of them had red streaks on his tail, but as it didn't look like any disease I was familiar with, I assumed it was a marking. When he died I was still not certain it was disease and put it down to him being injured in transit. Basically what happens is that red streaks appear, largely on the tail. Then the tail appears to "dissolve" (not like tail-rot - the tail becomes thinner and thinner until it almost melts away). But some of them died before the tail was significantly damaged.

Anyone else heard of this disease? He said it wasn't tailrot and usually only affected guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back