Need Details On Where To Get Rare Freshwater Shrimp

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
I'm going to be setting up my shrimp tank this coming summer, and I really don't want anything that is easily available and therefore common.
At the moment I'm thinking of cardinal shrimp, but anything that's a bit rarer and lives in freshwater could be considered.

I'm starting the look now cause I figure it could take some time to actually decide.

There was an article in last months (I think) PFK, regarding all new species of shrimp found. Different colour variations of amano etc.

You can usually find tiger, bee, bumblebee, crs etc on ebay for usually a decent price.

http://www.interaquaristik.de/aquaristikbedarf-garnelen-c-190-1.html?sessID=kqbukmf58e8h3pb8010k0bkpfc1448d3

That German site ships to the UK and they have a very wide range of shrimp.

Also I've used http://www.shrimpking.co.uk/ a few times for CRS and found him to be excellent all round.

Perfect, thank you very much three fingers. That's my birthday sorted. :D (It's not until may...I believe in forward planning).

Do you know much about cardinal shrimp? I know they're pretty hard to come by, dont acclimatise too well from the wild and that alot have already been taken from the wild.
But...as I planned to have a shrimp only tank I was hoping the breed them (and therefore supply many more to the hobby than I've taken) so I was thinking of getting some.

Are their any other breeds you can think of that are definitely worth considering?
Other than the obvious like high grade CRS

Apparently cardinals and other sulawesi shrimp are really hard to keep alive, they apparently need the conditions ideal all the time and any deviance on this could have disastrous consequences. I guess if you could get some tank bred it could work much better :)

How big is the tank going to be?

Cardinal shrimp need hard, alkaline water with higher temperatures to thrive, and if you want them to breed you cant keep them with small fish. So, while beautiful, you cant keep them with much other than snails.

If you really like the idea of breeding them though, they would be good for a small 15l-ish tank.

I like CRS myself, but thats because you can keep them with so many other things safely (well, it was safe before I added my baby bettas :rolleyes:) and have a big variety of inverts.

The inverts I have in my 30" tank are CRS, big armoured filter shrimp, micro crabs, cherry shrimp, Malaysian rainbow shrimp, purple zebra shrimp, bumblebee nerites, tiger nerites, different coloured apple snails, then trumpet snails, ramshorns, pond snials and tadpole snails.

They all coexist peacefully and don't interbreed. Though the cherry shrimp certainly seem to crowd out the CRS so I wouldn't recommend keeping them together if you want to keep CRS. I just like seeing all the life bustling and breeding, but with more variety.

Shrimp I've always wanted to keep and breed would be snowball shrimp (their eggs are so cute lol), they are easier than CRS and Sulawesi shrimp, basically like cherry shrimp.

There's also tiger shrimp and the various other forms of Caridina cf. cantonensis, but IMO none available in the UK compare to CRS :D.

That is the message I've been getting so far.
High ph and hard water is what I've seen everywhere. And that everything aside from this is likely to lead to losses, but the number of losses varies. I mean to be fair that's how it goes with most species, we harvest them from the wild. And the ones with the greatest ability to adapt are the ones that survive and therefore after a few generations they are the species as a whole becomes 'hardier'.
So yah know tank bred would be great....but I'd be willing to try wild caught.
I can't remember the really good shrimp forum we have in the UK. I figured they might be available on there. (Tank bred)

But...as I planned to have a shrimp only tank I was hoping the breed them

^^ As above, it was always going to be shrimp only. And it's a 27l (Aqua 40).

CRS are pretty, and certainly easier than cardinals. But I don't want to rule out the cardinals straight away.
Put it this way, all else fails I'll get some high grade CRS. Also plan to divide the tank once they start breeding so I can grade them. Highest in one side 'average' in the other.

Edit: Just to add I've not tested the water in Nottingham yet, but I reckon it may be hard enough for the Cardinals. I'm picking up my test kit this weekend.

http://www.interaquaristik.de/aquaristikbedarf-garnelen-c-190-1.html?sessID=kqbukmf58e8h3pb8010k0bkpfc1448d3

That German site ships to the UK and they have a very wide range of shrimp.

Also I've used http://www.shrimpking.co.uk/ a few times for CRS and found him to be excellent all round.
how on earth do you navigate the german site? I wanted to buy some shrimp and snails but couldnt translate it :( i got as far as ordering and then got stuck!!

I see what you mean, you need to understand a good bit of german, lovely shrimps though, impressive and quite reasonable when you see what UK sites charge for some. di

I see what you mean, you need to understand a good bit of german, lovely shrimps though, impressive and quite reasonable when you see what UK sites charge for some. di
you cant even copy and paste to translate it :(

Edit: Just to add I've not tested the water in Nottingham yet, but I reckon it may be hard enough for the Cardinals. I'm picking up my test kit this weekend.
oooo im in notts :) i feel trading comming on lol

OH,and theres not language thing anywhere, where you can sellect the language you want either, cant think of what to suggest unless someone can translate for you. di :crazy:

Most reactions

Back