Nano Filter Set-up - Plan

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SilverB

Reaction score
So - here's my plan for my Nano Tank filter set up.

My Nano Tank comes with built in compartments in the back for the filter, water pump and heater. Originally it came with a large black sponge in the middle compartment (areas 4-5 in the drawing) - which I assumed was the Carbon filter but the shop told me it was the bio-filter, and two panels - one with ceramic balls and a second which seems to have some kind of fine felt type material.

I'm not planning to use those again, and instead will fill the compartments up myself - I've seen this online and wanted to get your thoughts (I'm new and needy - sorry!)

I've drawn a diagram of the compartments and I'm planning to use:
Section 1: Mechanical media - likely some filter wool packed in - this is right against the intake so will help if I have any shrimp in future - would change out every 1-2 weeks I imagine

Section 2, 3 & 4 would be bio media - I'm thinking ceramic rings in filter bags so I can easily remove a bag a week to wash in tank water to keep clean (I assume I would need to stagger any "cleaning" of these to prevent spikes and disruption to bacteria colonies)

Section 5 would be a Carbon filter of some kind - though I'm not sure if this is strictly necessary

Section 6 is where the water pump and heater will be - I don't really want to put any media in the bottom of this section since it will be awkward to access

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 79
Sounds like a lot of effort and cleaning. My Fluval Flex has a very similar arrangement. I have a (plain) sponge in section 4 and nothing else. The system is very effective and rinsing the sponge when I do water changes takes about 20 seconds. I clean the pump and return hose about once a month.

Sounds like a lot of effort and cleaning. My Fluval Flex has a very similar arrangement. I have a (plain) sponge in section 4 and nothing else. The system is very effective and rinsing the sponge when I do water changes takes about 20 seconds. I clean the pump and return hose about once a month.

It's true that it might be a lot of effort to clean - I'm a bit paranoid because my last tank had a number of Nitrite spike issues - likely due to inexperience and a host of other issues - but I want to try to have the best filtering system I can with the most amount of surface area.

Maybe I need to keep thinking over this!

Most reactions

trending

Back