My water is blue/green

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Zoeeannee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a heavily planted tank with primarily anubias on wood, Java fern on wood and jungle val. My water is a blue/green colour. Itā€™s definitely not algae on the side as when I put the water in a separate container the colour is still there. All parameters are fine.

Any ideas what this is? How can I fix this back to clear?

Pictures of the tank and water in a white bucket?

Have you added anything to the tank (medication, fertiliser, water conditioner, etc?

-------------------
Easiest way to fix anything water related in an aquarium is to do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean every day for a week or until the problem is identified and resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Iā€™ve not added anything to the tank and I have also been doing water changes which on the day of the water change seem to help in the sense that they dilute the colour but it just comes back. Iā€™ve given you pictures of the water in a small coffee mug and the tank but because I have a black background it doesnā€™t really give a clear picture of the colour so Iā€™ve also added a picture of a smaller tank I have also with a black background to give a comparison. I have the same LED lights on both tanks and my larger tank (which is the one that has the problem) used to be as bright as the smaller one also pictured

Attachments

• 1CC2D3F9-958B-4601-A5E6-BB4A13CC29C1.jpeg
    1CC2D3F9-958B-4601-A5E6-BB4A13CC29C1.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 0E78A1BB-A017-4B36-9AAE-8F2E762E260F.jpeg
    0E78A1BB-A017-4B36-9AAE-8F2E762E260F.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 30
  • FB7C8EFF-36BE-469E-8055-4CD2A7911133.jpeg
    FB7C8EFF-36BE-469E-8055-4CD2A7911133.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 24
The only thing I can see in the big tank is the plants don't appear to be doing that well. A lot of them look like they are covered in algae and others appear to be rotting. I'm not sure if this is the case and it could just be the lighting and the picture.

If the plants are dying they can sometimes release chlorophyll into the water but they is normally green, not bluey green.

Do you have a new filter or filter media, in particular blue filter pads or sponges?
If yes, they might be releasing dye into the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back