My Shell Dweller Journey

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Very cool to read through this, as I'm in the process of cycling my tanganyikan tank as well (50gal 4 footer)

here's a picture of it

1516A103-orig.jpg

Just a question, though, did you gender the dickfeldi, or did they just get along when you put them in there? I'm gonna be getting 6 julis, but I wanna know if there needs to be a male to female ratio for them.

Very cool to read through this, as I'm in the process of cycling my tanganyikan tank as well (50gal 4 footer)

here's a picture of it

1516A103-orig.jpg

Just a question, though, did you gender the dickfeldi, or did they just get along when you put them in there? I'm gonna be getting 6 julis, but I wanna know if there needs to be a male to female ratio for them.

That looks like a perfect tank for altos, multies, and Cyps. Julies are best kept in pairs, getting 6 to start is a good idea but you will need to remove 4 once a pair forms. For julies you are going to want a taller pile of rocks. I'm just being nit picky here but I would remove that power head, tanganyikans aren't that fond of high flow and most can tolerate low O2 levels. Your filter should provide enough surface movement for O2 exchange.

here's a picture of it

1516A103-orig.jpg

That looks like a perfect tank for altos, multies, and Cyps. Julies are best kept in pairs, getting 6 to start is a good idea but you will need to remove 4 once a pair forms. For julies you are going to want a taller pile of rocks. I'm just being nit picky here but I would remove that power head, tanganyikans aren't that fond of high flow and most can tolerate low O2 levels. Your filter should provide enough surface movement for O2 exchange.
The picture is a little old, I had my filter break and I was using the power head to circulate the water while I waited for a new one to come in. its not there anymore, regardless.

There is about 150 pounds of rock in there, I couldn't stack it any higher without getting wobbly towers, but they take up over half the tank. The stones were stacked in the tank before sand was poured in, so a lot of them are buried. The structures are both nearly as wide as the tank.

I've been told by about 8 sources on this website and others now that dickfeldi can be kept in colonies, or else I'd probably be going for ornatus.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back