My Shell Dweller Journey

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got a new tank which will be a shell dweller tank. Very excited, my first venture into African Cichlids.

I have done some research, but there are still a few questions I have and I hope someone here can help me.

The dimensions of the tank are 36 (w) x 12 (d) x 18 (h) which makes it 127 l / 28 g / 34 USg according to the calculator here. Obviously, taking into account the substrate it will be a little less.

Currently I have:

- sand substrate

- 15 Escargot shells

- some rock (although I know this will be just for aesthetic reasons)

I am also thinking about adding moss balls as only plants. I have read that they like moving things around, so maybe they will roll around the moss balls and munch on them?! No other plants planned, as they will only uproot them and drive me crazy.

So, my questions are:

Should I stick to one species or can I add two? Thinking about multis, brevis and smilils. Which is the best and if I can have more than one, which two would go best together? How many fish in total should I start off with considering they will most likely breed?

Have I got enough shells or should I order another batch of 15? Got them for a good price on ebay.

Can I add anything else to the tank especially for the upper level? Have come across juliis and rainbows, are they a possibility?

I think, that's all the questions I have for now. Starting the cycle process this week, so still have some time, but would be great to have some more thoughts from members here to plan my shellies tank properly.

I'd stick to one species of shellie but have 2 or 3 pairs. Rocks are good for sight breaks to stop males attacking each other all the time. Number of shells depends on what fish you go for, if you get multis then put as many shells in there as you can, but brevis only need one per fish (and once paried up, only one shell per pair) with maybe a couple of spares to act as hiding places. My brevis actually buried nearby shells they wern't using under the sand, guess it's to stop competitors moving in next door.

What type depends on what you can get, they all have their own endearing features. I guess you're not too far from Wharf aquatics? they had a good selection of shellies when i was in there recently.

If you did a shell bed one end of the tank and a tall pile of rocks the other you could do a small group of julies in there as well, suggest transcriptus or ornatus as they don't get too big.

Moss balls will be fine, java fern and vallis work well in the hard water conditions too.

Now, wheres that coffee? :blush:

I agree with the above :)

Plus, he deserves some coffee :D

Thanks so much, I was starting to feel lonely here :rolleyes:

First of all, here is your coffee and cookies :fun: Yum!

I will stick to one species then, just need to decide which one. Will have another read on the fish species index section here and hopefully make up my mind. Will get more shells if I decide to go for multis.

Glad to hear that I can have julies too, thanks for suggesting a species. You say small group, so about three?

Thanks about other plant suggestions. Will add some of them.

Wharf aquatics is a little too far, but I will try my LFS first. He works from his shed (literally), but orders whatever you want and gets it for you, so hopefully he can get me my shellies. If he can't get them, will do the trip, it's about 50+ miles.

Getting really excited, I set up the tank last night. And then I had the clever idea of using one of my already mature filters which is in the big tank as a back-up (because I always fear filter failure), so 'cycling' will probably only take a week or so (will add ammonia and make sure all goes back to 0 within hours). So, I will hopefully be ready for my shellies very soon, well sooner than expected.

Thanks again, it gave me a clearer picture of what I need to do. It's my first venture out of the 'ordinary' so want to get it right. Now, go and enjoy your coffee ;)

IcQb, cross posting. Help yourself to a coffee too :D

other ones to look out for are Occelatus and Ornatipinnis. Gold Occelatus are so cool looking, they have round lower pectoral fins that makes it look like they have boxing gloves on. almost started a new tank recently just for them!

Altolamprologus compressiceps "sumbu shell" are also amazing little fish too if you can get hold of them :good:

Thanks Lufbramatt for all the suggestions. Will research them all and narrow it down to what would go best.

Well, I have just been to the local garden centre that has a huge fish section attached to it. Had a chat with the manager and told him about my plans. First of all I got loads of rock. He told me to stack it up and drill some holes into them which I will do later today. Will add pics later for you to see. In stock they had various julis and brevis, but he said if I wanted anything else they'd order it for me. So yes, will be doing some more research on all those different cichlids and then decide.

I am really so excited, can't wait to have it all ready.

I have brevis, really underrated little fish in my opinion. I think people get them, think they're really shy as they dive back in their shells everytime you go near them for the first couple of weeks, and assume that's what they're like for ever. Mine are now bold as brass and are like little oscars- they come and see me and try to stare me out, and the males bite me or the cleaning pipe if i get too close to their shells. Great mating and territorial displays- they do this cool thing where they flare out all their fins, tilt thier head towards the sand and change colour from a purply brown to almost black with tan stripes down their flanks to scare away intruders. Even the female will chase away julies that are twice her size.

You could do two pairs no problem in that size tank. I'd get two males and 4 females but you might have to remove the extra females eventually if they're rejected. Defo get two males as it means you'll get to see the interesting interactions and territory disputes between them.

That sounds really interesting. I am tending more towards brevis anyway, as they need less shells so I have some room left for moss balls and especially rocks for the others. If I only got two males and two females, would they definitely pair up or is it better to get more females to give the lads a choice.

So, all those fish you mentioned in your first post, would they be compatible with brevis?

I assume they are non-shell dwellers for the upper levels, but haven't looked at them yet.

Edit: They are also shell dwellers, aren't they? Should learn the names of them all. There is so much out there! Sorry, really total newbie... :rolleyes:

A little update.

This is the rock that I got yesterday.

This is before I washed it and stacking it up as a possible tower that would go into one corner of the tank. Ignore the small rock at the front, that is already in the dwarf puffer tank. Obviously the man of the house still has to drill holes through the bigger pieces. How big should the holes be and how many do you suggest?

DSCF1546Large.jpg

And this is the rock washed, all lovely dark brown.

DSCF1566Large.jpg

I think I got far too much, but the whole lot only cost me £15, I might add a little to one of the other tanks.

Another maybe stupid question - Do I need to soak the rock like wood? Forgot to ask in the shop when I got it.

I have also called Wharf Aquatics, thanks Luffbramatt for recommending the place. They were very helpful and I will make it a nice trip out with the family to pick up the fish.

I am more or less decided now on getting golden Lamprologus ocellatus, they have many in stock and they look beautiful. And then some julis, they got a big range available, so will see what goes best and what I fancy when I'm there. I told him what I was up to and that a mature filter was in the new tank, but I want to monitor the levels of ammonia and nitrite for a week or two before getting them and he was very pleased that I didn't just want to chuck fish into an uncycled tank (felt really happy and proud to have learnt so much on this forum).

So, yes that's the current update. Water is clearing after adding the sand, so sometime this weekend I shall add a picture of the full set up with the rock in so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks again for all your help here and if someone could answer the questions regarding the rock that would really help. And possibly give me more info on the ocellatus, but will also do my best on google.

Give the rocks some boiling water in a bucket, usually outside incase they want to explode in my face , ouch. Nice looking rocks BTW. I have a colony of Multies in a 48"x15" footprint with some cyps. Thinking your 36" footprint might be big enough for Parayprichromis nigripinnis, some slate overhangs and dim lighting would set them off a treat, :good: 36" a nice size for shell dweller tank, you could keep a exLamprologus caudopunctatus or maybe a couple of Julidochromis. I'm not suggesting all of these just one or the other. I think a colony of Multies will keep you entertained and fill that tank in no time, just my two cents :good:

Cheers, Sean

Thanks Sean, will cover the rocks with boiling water :good:

Stop suggesting more shellies, there are so many out there and it is hard enough to decide ;) What is the fish in your avatar? I love it!

Thanks Sean, will cover the rocks with boiling water :good:

Stop suggesting more shellies, there are so many out there and it is hard enough to decide ;) What is the fish in your avatar? I love it!

Tropheus moorii (Kasanga) "red rainbow"....... :drool:

Meant to say , if you like shellies have a look on here...
LOTS OF NICE SHELLIES
www.shelldwellers.com

To many Tangs to choose from , not enough tanks :good:

Cheers, Sean

Oooh, I love that one. I need a restraining jacket, the house is filled with tanks and I can't possibly add more :unsure:

Thanks for the link, will have a browse there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back