my plants die everytime

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

!guppy!

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ave got lights.. its bright enuf 2 blind me wen i turn on! water.. the fish live so its fine! the plants.. they die die die die!!!! any help as i wana make a plant to the max tank!!!
thx

Good question. I have the same problem, too.

what is the size of the tank, and wattage of light? do you use fertliser? what type of plants have you had? what "symptoms" do they show before tehy die?

>>> ave got lights

You mean you "have got lights"?

>>> bright enuf 2 blind me wen i turn on

I assume you mean they are "bright enough to blind you when you turn them on".

>>> the fish live so its fine!

Fish do not need light to survive.

Plants will grow if their requirements are met. If you have genuine aquatic plants, in water of suitable chemistry, with light of the right type and duration, with nutrients to their liking, and no external contra factors, they'll grow, if not, they'll die.

As CD says, you have not given us enough information to even begin to help really.

the lights are bright enuf for plants am sure, and i mean water quality.. the fish are really healthy so the plants are! and i dont no y they die, they just go brown and fall apart n die :S 2 tanks, one is erm 10g and one is erm 40g UK! they were just plants and oxygenating weed, neither lasted! one has survived but its starting 2 go brown also :S any help be appreicated and thx for help i already have recievd

Would you recommend feeding the plants every week?

Picked up a leaflet about products and it said feed your plants often.

!guppy! said:
the lights are bright enuf for plants am sure, and i mean water quality.. the fish are really healthy so the plants are! and i dont no y they die, they just go brown and fall apart n die :S 2 tanks, one is erm 10g and one is erm 40g UK! they were just plants and oxygenating weed, neither lasted! one has survived but its starting 2 go brown also :S any help be appreicated and thx for help i already have recievd
Tell...me...the...wattage...of...the...lights. The most common cause for people's plants dying is lack of light. Some plants need a lot of light, more than you'd think.

Clutterydrawer is right, we need to know the wattage. The bulbs should have this on them.

Also, this "the fish live so its fine!" is way wrong.

You need to post:

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
GH
KH
Ph

Levels for anyone to truly be able to help. Just because the fish are alive does not mean your levels are right. Fish can look fine and levels can be off. Also, many fish don't have the same needs or requirements as plants.

It would also help if you posted what types of plants. Some plants will grow fine in a high PH while others need a low PH, etc... Fish tend to adapt to varying PH levels better than most plants.

:nod:

Not enough, or wrong type of light.

The human eye is remarkably adapative to light levels. My tank is medium light in the middle front and low light on the sides and back. This is not visible to the naked eye, but the camera captures it. Plants need high light levels, they evolved in the great outdoors fueled by big bright Sol. The bottom line is that you can't tell if your lighting is appropriate for plants merely by looking in the tank with your adaptable human eyes. In addition, the light must fall within a certain spectrum range to be useful for the plants, again, not something the can be judged with the naked eye.

So tell us what the wattage is on your lights, how many you have, and what type of light they are, because 9 times out of 10, newbie plant ventures fail due to insufficient lighting for the chosen species.

ok its 30watt. wich is ****! told u, u wud make me a sound a fooll, i bet they need like 60 watt!!! hehe! thx for advice tho! sorry 2 say that ur links 2 plant geek didnt work tho mate.... but thx all, and yer ill feed them 2..

sorry 2 be a fool but thx ppl :D

It depends on the tank. You should have 2WPG for most plants. Higher light plants need 3-4WPG

!guppy! said:
ok its 30watt. wich is ****! told u, u wud make me a sound a fooll, i bet they need like 60 watt!!! hehe! thx for advice tho! sorry 2 say that ur links 2 plant geek didnt work tho mate.... but thx all, and yer ill feed them 2..

sorry 2 be a fool but thx ppl :D
Damn, would it kill you to write full words, sentences and make sense?

30 watts isn't blinding at all when compared to lighting systems other members have for their planted tanks. You should aim for 3 watts per gallon to have good success, and not just any light, it has to be full spectrum with the right kelvin temperature. Everybody is always fooled by bulbs like aqua glo and power glo that claim they're best for plants when really their kelvin temperature is way too high >18000K, then they wonder why their plants aren't growing :/
You should also read on the difficulty level of keeping the plant, if it's high than that means it probably needs perfect water parameters. IMO you should start with pond weed :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back