My Little Sycamore Bonzai Tree

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Check out my wee bonzai tree I am making, I found it when it was about half the height in my garden so I potted it and let it grow. Starting to look pretty sweet, the trunk is quite cool too with the wee twist in it. Not sure what to do next though if anyone has any tips that would be cool. I believe I have to wait a wee while before I snip the main root?

cheers chish

Attachments

• Photo0483.jpg
    Photo0483.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 125
Very nice, it definitely has potential! I've been into Bonsai trees for years, I have a little red maple that is only tiny grown from seed that I am attempting to Bonsai although I'm a bit wary when it comes to cutting roots, it's best to let in mature a bit and wait for the roots to be growing out the pot before attempting any cutting and then only a little at a time, you can probably replace in the same pot or get a bonsai pot, I have a very good bonsai book but haven't seen it in a long while, must be in the loft somewhere :rolleyes: think it is best to invest in a book and some bonsai tools to really help out, I do know outdoor trees as in the case of your one must always be left outdoors if you bring it in it will die, goodluck! :good:

Looks good mate. Try and train the trunk whilst its stil supple around a cane (or 3) to get a nice interesting shape. I've got a little Hornbeam that i've had a few years now.

Very similar to aqua scaping a tank when trimming, planting moss, adding rocks etc. Will try and get a pic tomorrow. :D

I'm a big fan of bonsai trees myself. Have a few around the house. As minnnt said, try to train it. You can buy proper wire online to train it, or you can use ordinary wire, make sure any part of the wood the standard wire touches then you either cover the part the wire is touching the tree.

I'd get some proper bonsai compost too, and as was already said, do a bit of research about them. You can of course buy a book but I find that you get far more information on line rather than just one authors view.

Its a great wee hobby to get into, I feed my trees every second day and water every day. I would say though, that if your wanting a real nice looking tree, get proper tools and a good bonsai pot.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. I think I might get a book I have a birch tree as well that I have potted it was a few years old and started off in the ground to get established so I [otted it and trimmed the main root, so fingers crossed it will be ok, its been in a pot now for a few months and hasnt died so thats something I suppose lol.

Minnt: Yeah thats a good idea to train the trunk I will defo do that I want it to look like a hobbit tree (does that make sense lol)

micko: I am never sure about the bonzai pots, I had a larch tree in one (used to be in a normal pot) but as soon as I moved it it seemed to dry out too quickly and ended up dying, maybe it wasnt the right pot or maybe it was just neglect :blush:.

Look forward to seeing your pic minnt.

Thats the reason it needs watering everyday mate. Normal plastic pots won't create the effect and the roots grow deep instead of flat and across. The wire is excellent, i had a little maple that i trained into a semi circle and back up. No idea why, lol, but it looked half decent. Also had a little thicket going on with a couple of oak tree's, but the weather got the better of them when i moved out of my mum and dads house. Shame you weren't a bit more local as i have a couple of spare pots, some wire and a couple of books you could have had.

Will get the picture sometime over the weekend. lol.

i had a bonzai oak tree, then somehow it took off and is now in the garden. Over 6 foot high!

Hi minnt, nice tree I like the moss and the trunk. You should make a little swing out of match sticks and twine and hang it from one of the branches. That would cool I reckon.lol.

And thanks for the kind offer of the book etc... if I was closer I would have taken you up on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back