My Killis Are Here!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I see no progress of late.... I think I should (maybe) remove all the fry and keep only the original parents in there.... The fry must be eaten by their older brothers and sisters as the numbers are not increasing.... Or else, I must get more "hiding" materials.... it is getting towards winter over here and I honestly thought I would have a lot more by now.

Yeah Ludwig,
This happens with a lot of killifish species.
Larger fry will consume their smaller siblings for a quick meal.
Your pond will reach a saturation level and will probably stay that way until you intervene then the process will start again until the next equilibrium has been reached
ATB
C

I have never really seen these fish "eye to eye", as they were still very young when I moved them to the ponds....

Their numbers are not increasing, so this afternoon, I caught one of the males in a net and for the first time, I had a good look at them.... They are not Gardneris, they are Guentheris.... (beautiful)

I'm now contemplating to put up a tank for them indoors so that I can see (and enjoy) exactly what I have.... They look extremely healthy and have increased their numbers from the original 2 to round about 9... then stagnated.

In the past 2 weeks, I have increased their substrate hiding places and hope this would help to increase the numbers to 2- to 300 (where they should've been already - in my calculation)... Maybe I should remove all and just leave 1 male and 2 females in the pond and then remove all fry as and when I see them.

Nope!!... no joy from this department.... They are all big adults now and their numbers are not increasing.... so.... tomorrow, They're going into a tank, so I can see what I've got... seems that there are only 5 left, & looking from the top down.... I'd say 4 of them are male.

So, once they're in the tank, I can work out which male will go back into the pond with the remaining female.... Maybe I'll have some increase in numbers then.... (& all future generations, I'll catch out and raise them seperately.

Hi. My name is Ludwig.... I am the worlds' worst photographer. (or else... I've got the worlds worst photography equipment)

It took me 84 snaps, to present these 4 photos of my Killies which I moved out of their pond this afternoon and first put them into one tank, then realised that tank is invested with trumpet snails, so I moved them again to a (algea coated) 3ft tank.....

there are 5 of them, being 3 males and 2 females.. (note... this is the first "full frontal" view of the fish, so I am as surprised as you are).

All 5 of them... Three males and 2 females
Killis058.jpg

One male, and one female
Killis036.jpg

Top down view of 2 males and one female (this is the view I had of them in the pond)
Killis019.jpg

Two of the males.
Killis084.jpg

Whilst moving them, I noticed several smaller fish in the same pond... (I was convinced that there are only the 5 adults)... and also, they spent the whole day spawning... So, I'm gonna leave the juviniles in the pond plus todays spawn... & see what happens.

Originally, I only put in 1 male and 1 female... (but that's a long time ago... I would've expected to find a lot more.

Nothing wrong with those fish,
Maybe the snail population are feasting on the eggs Lud.
Get some mops into that tank and collect the eggs.
Regards
C

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back