My Killis Are Here!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
They arrived here yesterday in good health after a courier trip of about 1,700km......I prepared 2 tanks for them.... one for the Gardneris and one for the Guentheris.......

Since these are very uncommon fish in SA (at least)..... I did not expect them to be so tiny (having only seen pictures of them)...... I cannot even mix them with my 1 month old guppy fry for fear that they may get eaten by the Guppies......

However... I quickly improvised and they are currently in 4 tanks... (only 2 pairs of each).... Today, I prepared an outside pond for the Gardneris where I will place the 2 males & 2 Females tommorow....(apparently, their eggs do not have to be subjected to a dry period), so I'm hoping they will just multiply naturally.....

The temperature in my garage borders on 28 without heaters..... The sender (from Cape Town) warned me that I'll have problems if my temp goes above 26.... The Guentheris will be kept in the garage.... I am worried.

Well you've finally got them.
He will have sent them small Ludwig, this is the natural thing to do.
No good having fully grown fish past their sell by date.
Not sure if a small clip on fan would help to cool things down a little as the air temp is the root problem but maybe worth a try.
I wouldn't put the GAR into the pond just yet if they are as small as you say they are, preferring instead to get them settled and feed them up somewhat. Good frequent waterchanges will also help. Try to source livefoods. fly larvae is very good. There must be some ponds locally you can collect from.
All the Best
Regards
Colin

Geez!!!.. they do grow fast.... I suspect the Gardneris are busy spawning right now.... (cluster of hornwort pinned down with lead sinker in the middle of a 24" tank)...

The male is chasing the (2) females vigorously into the thickets and they have deepened their colours substantially. There are however, a lot of trumpet snails in this tank, so I'm not expecting anything yet....(I cannot see any eggs though)

The Guentheris have doubled in size (honestly) in the past 2 days, so I think (at this growth rate).... they'll be ready for spawning soon.... I'll also have to do the "hornwort" trick with them, as I've never seen Java moss or suitable peat moss available around here.....

The Gardneris will thus be ready to go outside to a 4ft x 3ft x 3ft deep pond today..... (I'll leave their current tank unoccupied for a few days just in case something comes of this spawning).

Nothos grow quick ....they have to....because their lifespan is so short.
Would like to see some pics Lud
Would it be possible for me to send you some Peat Pellets or ask Tyrone what he's using as a spawning medium, he deals with a few species of Noths for a PHd.
ATB
C

Nothos grow quick ....they have to....because their lifespan is so short.
ATB
C
:lol: (because of the warm air rises theory.... they're in the bottom tanks to keep it cool) so,... I'll have to lay flat to take a photo, But I guess I better do so before I take the Gardneris outside otherwise... It'll be only top down photos.....(like the Blue gouramies in my Avitar)

ATB

Could only get photos of one female...... The male & other female hiding in the Hornwort..... They've all been moved outside to a pond subsequently...

Endlers339.jpg

Endlers342.jpg

They look a fair size to me Ludwig
Certainly of breeding size.
You should see some of the thigs I've been sent in the past, yours would have been able to make a meal out of them lol.
Glad your sorted M8
I can see this developing though
ATB
C

They look a fair size to me Ludwig
Certainly of breeding size.
You should see some of the thigs I've been sent in the past, yours would have been able to make a meal out of them lol.
Glad your sorted M8
I can see this developing though
ATB
C

Yea... the Gardneris were reasonable, but, I'll try get photos of the Guentheris.....(still inside) They have grown, but are still fry...

The Gardneris are busy spawning as I "speak".... (seen enough spawning activity to know this is the real Monty)...

I'm not moving them or the eggs..... it is in an outside pond 4ft x 3ft x3ft deep..... Not much hiding space for the fry, but I just have the feeling they'll be left alone....I may consider to take the one male (not participating) out for the time being.

How long before I see fry... (top view only)...??

Could be quite a while before you see any fry Ludwig. Especially from the surface. They will usually congregate around the shore area of the pond if your ponds are on a gradient and not sheer sided.
The eggs hatch normally in 16 to 18 days and the fish will be spawning all the time but you will have to allow for predation by the adults and older on younger siblings. But you will at some point I imagine reach a saturation level.
What are you feeding them on beside what they'll get from natural terrestrial means.
Regards
C

I'm sure Tyrone must have fed them bloodworm as they did not have to be introduced to it... they go crazy with bloodworm treats.... rest of the time I feed ordinary tropical flakes.

I'm toothpicking the pond daily for signs of fry and/or eggs... I have seen them spawn, but it is only 5 weeks yet... If I do not see any fry next week, (Gardneris)... I'll be very dissappointed.

The Guentheri Males look mature enough to start spawning, but the female will have another week or 2.

Do like I said Ludwig and throw in a couple of long floating mops and check daily for eggs. Even if they dont use the mop 100% of the time, they still will lay the odd egg here and there on it. This will ensure that you know they are spawning.
ATB
C

Do like I said Ludwig and throw in a couple of long floating mops and check daily for eggs. Even if they dont use the mop 100% of the time, they still will lay the odd egg here and there on it. This will ensure that you know they are spawning.
ATB
C

You talking about the Guentheris??... I spoke to Tyrone, and he said the Hornwort I've got in the pond should be ample for the Gardneris, & they should not bother the fry... (I'm not to sure however)... But I'm busy making the mops for the Guentheris.

No... the mops are for the Gardneri's. so as you can ascertain that there is spawning activity taking place.
I would place a pot of peat moss in for the Nothobranchius sp.
They are bottom spawners and their eggs need to be harvested and put through a diapause (dry period) then wetted after an allotted time for the fry to hatch
Regards
C

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back