My Ich Treatment Is Successfully Over,, How I Did It And Whats Next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ralphw62

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My ICH Treatment is successfully over,, now what?

I had this battle with "new tank syndrom" at the same time!

what I did...

First..I slowly raised temp up to 85-86-degrees..

Removed carbon

Used Petco Herbal Ich Treatment (in know but it worked)

followed the instructions on bottle, treat every 24 hours.. every other day I would double by treating at 12 hours.
I think this is key.

took 5 days for white spots to be completely gone.

Continued treating for 4 days, today is day 5 and I treated but lowered temo to 82 degrees yesterday.

I can say this stuff worked for me and would do it the same way again..no blue staining! it worked.

NOW! Can I put the Carbon back in? I'm still getting very small amounts of Nitrites> water change.

Carbon won't get rid of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate; water changes are the only way to reduce those.

I don't run carbon in any of my tanks; it's really only useful for a few things. Getting rid of remnants of meds after treatment, or tannins are main ones. If you have spare space in your filter, you'd be better off adding more 'normal' media; sponges or ceramic rings.

+1 carbon really only works for what it's supposed to (Removing certain impurities) for about two weeks and then it's just a surface for bacteria to live on.
If you want to put it back I would wait for the 7 day mark, just so the excess medication can take effect if it needs to.

Also read up on the lifespan of Ick parasite, they have multiple cycles in their lives. The white spots you observe are the only visible life stage of the ick parasite, it's adult phase. If you have time you can read this article, I found it informative; http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article2.html

There is a line near the end that reads: [background=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Treat all fish for at least a week, even contrary to the directions on the label, if you want to prevent reoccurrence later. As can be seen from the complex life cycle, ich is a tenacious disease that is difficult to eradicate[/background]

Carbon won't get rid of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate; water changes are the only way to reduce those.

I don't run carbon in any of my tanks; it's really only useful for a few things. Getting rid of remnants of meds after treatment, or tannins are main ones. If you have spare space in your filter, you'd be better off adding more 'normal' media; sponges or ceramic rings.

agreed 100%

no carbon for me either

+1 carbon really only works for what it's supposed to (Removing certain impurities) for about two weeks and then it's just a surface for bacteria to live on.
If you want to put it back I would wait for the 7 day mark, just so the excess medication can take effect if it needs to.

Also read up on the lifespan of Ick parasite, they have multiple cycles in their lives. The white spots you observe are the only visible life stage of the ick parasite, it's adult phase. If you have time you can read this article, I found it informative; http://badmanstropic...s/article2.html

There is a line near the end that reads: [background=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Treat all fish for at least a week, even contrary to the directions on the label, if you want to prevent reoccurrence later. As can be seen from the complex life cycle, ich is a tenacious disease that is difficult to eradicate[/background]

yeah I know...its been about 10 days today 5 days after the white-spot was gone, I treated diligently during the 4-5 days after that knowing the complete lifecycle

I was thinking about getting some of that Nitro-Zorb and put it in the power head or a seperate box filter?

You'd be better off water changing.

Nitra-Zorb will strip all the ammonia and nitrite out of your water; whilst that might sound like a good idea at first, in the long term it'll starve your filter bacteria, which will then either not grow or even die off completely, and your tank will never cycle.

Fluttermoth is correct. A water change is the best way to instantly remove ammonia and nitrite.

You'd be better off water changing.

Nitra-Zorb will strip all the ammonia and nitrite out of your water; whilst that might sound like a good idea at first, in the long term it'll starve your filter bacteria, which will then either not grow or even starve completely, and your tank will never cycle.

water changes continue....:)

what I did...

Removed carbon

followed the instructions on bottle, treat every 24 hours.. every other day I would double by treating at 12 hours.
I think this is key.

Continued treating for 4 days, today is day 5 and I treated but lowered temo to 82 degrees yesterday.

I can say this stuff worked for me and would do it the same way again..no blue staining! it worked.

NOW! Can I put the Carbon back in? I'm still getting very small amounts of Nitrites> water change.

Were you following the dosage instructions to remove the ich or over-dosing?

I'm currently dealing with ich; I think the fishes have contracted it from plants which I recently introduced as my water quality is excellent (ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 20ppm) and no new inhabitants have been added.

I am currently using WaterLife Protozin for days 1,2,3 and 6 to get rid of ich. I guess with this treatment it wouldn't be safe to use it every 12 hours like you did unless I reduce the dosage concentration?

[quote post="3478733" timestamp="1358780303"]

My ICH Treatment is successfully over,, now what?I had this battle with "new tank syndrom" at the same time!what I did...First..I slowly raised temp up to 85-86-degrees..Removed carbonUsed Petco Herbal Ich Treatment (in know but it worked)followed the instructions on bottle, treat every 24 hours.. every other day I would double by treating at 12 hours.I think this is key.took 5 days for white spots to be completely gone.Continued treating for 4 days, today is day 5 and I treated but lowered temo to 82 degrees yesterday.I can say this stuff worked for me and would do it the same way again..no blue staining! it worked.NOW! Can I put the Carbon back in? I'm still getting very small amounts of Nitrites> water change.
Were you following the dosage instructions to remove the ich or over-dosing?I'm currently dealing with ich; I think the fishes have contracted it from plants which I recently introduced as my water quality is excellent (ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 20ppm) and no new inhabitants have been added.I am currently using WaterLife Protozin for days 1,2,3 and 6 to get rid of ich. I guess with this treatment it wouldn't be safe to use it every 12 hours like you did unless I reduce the dosage concentration?[/quote]
[quote post="3478733" timestamp="1358780303"]

what I did...

Removed carbon

I think this is key.

Were you following the dosage instructions to remove the ich or over-dosing?

I'm currently dealing with ich; I think the fishes have contracted it from plants which I recently introduced as my water quality is excellent (ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 20ppm) and no new inhabitants have been added.

I am currently using WaterLife Protozin for days 1,2,3 and 6 to get rid of ich. I guess with this treatment it wouldn't be safe to use it every 12 hours like you did unless I reduce the dosage concentration?[/quote]

i only doubled as directed for a stubborn case about every other day...kept temps up. i never used WaterLife Protozin so i cant comment

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back