My Gar Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

But it's not a needle nose for definite

I'd say Florida gar too

it deff is a Needle Nose Gar
go on google and look up pics of the Needle Nose Gar is gray with black spots and the Florida gar is green with a yellow tail fin

As in this

http://www.google.com/search?q=needle%20nose%20gar&um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=676&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw&ei=NYuyT6K1IsfS0QW35fW4CQ

If so it looks nothing alike

the 1st pic is a gater gar on this site its deff a needle nose gar that the guy is asking about in this post

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5291911282/m/1370011982001/p/2

well this is a eazy way to tell......how long has he had thos fish cause needle nose gars only get from 12 to 15inchs in there hole life where a gater garr will be that size in about a year and keep growing in the wild till there 11 to 15feet in a tank or pond maybe 5feet depending on size of the tank

Yeah I guess but if you look at that link they look nothing alike

Bae

ok everyone im sorry its called a short nose needle gar hears a pic sorry for how long the site is lol just copy and past it in the heading
and agen sorry for the cunfusion with the needle nose and the short nose needle

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoQ4XlrJPengAD8qJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dshortnose%2Bneedle%2Bgar%26n%3D30%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-s%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D3&w=1000&h=422&imgurl=files.worldfishingnetwork.com%2FImages%2Fspecies%2Fshortnose_gar_sketch.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldfishingnetwork.com%2Ffishing-tips%2Fspecies%2Fgar-8474.aspx&size=23.3+KB&name=Shortnose+Gar+Sketch.&p=shortnose+needle+gar&oid=dc85042bc331fd0f584c57d3cf55aa32&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-701-s&tt=Shortnose%2BGar%2BSketch.&b=0&ni=84&no=3&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=125vdfuhc&sigb=13qvktvs7&sigi=125k5taie&.crumb=JVpsA9okKML

Yeah makes more sense

and I couldn't give a definate answer to Wich one it is

Also I keep
Marine reef, new world chiclids ( sev and true parrot ) predatory catfish barbs silver dollars ,mixed community of tetras killi fish shrimp and cories and koi carp

Atb bae

@Tripp, spouting complete rubbish!
If you are going to correct someone, at least get it right!

Show me a green Florida Gar.
And what planet do Long nose (needle nose) gars never grow bigger than 15"? more like they can grow up to 6ft!

The OP's fish is not a "Needle Nose Gar".
It's a Florida Gar.

Those of us that have kept or keep Gar can instantly spot the difference, but for those like yourself who can't, it's simple.
Snout length. Needle nose is muuuuch longer.

As for it being a "short nose", wrong snout shape, body markings, wrong fish. Simple.
The markings on the OP's fish are feint either due to being new, or just genes, but you can clearly see Florida "spots" on the snout.

Florida and Spotted Gar are almost impossible to tell apart, but 99% of "spotted Gar" are intact Florida Gar.
Florida patterns can vary in intensity etc, and is no way to tell apart from Spotted.

The distance from the snout to the gil plate can be a good reference, and this is what would make my opinion of the users Gar being a Florida, not Spotted.

OP'S fish is a Florida Gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus), not a "Needle Nose" Gar (Lepisosteus osseus)

ok gasmask if talking #106### on thes sites helps u sleep at night go for it
and it deff a short nose needle read a #71### book

Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Aggressive
Water Conditions: 76-82° F, KH 8-15, pH 6.8-7.4
Max. Size: 1' 3"
Color Form: gray
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Asia
Family: Belonidae

The Needle Nose Gar originates from the rivers, slack waters and ponds of Asia. They are a very long and slender fish that is mostly silver in color. Because of their body shape, they are able to produce very quick bursts of speed when in pursuit of prey. They have a very slender mouth that is filled with numerous small razor-like teeth.

A 70-gallon or larger aquarium that is well established is ideal for this species. Provide the Needle Nose Gar with a gravel substrate and plenty of rock for structure. There should be plenty of open swimming areas. A vicious predator, the Needle Nose Gar should only be housed with other more aggressive predacious fish of similar size. A tight fitting canopy is a must for this species, as they can generate great speeds and easily jump out of the aquarium.

The breeding habits of this species are unknown, as the Needle Nose Gar has yet to be spawned in the home aquarium.

The Needle Nose Gar is a carnivore and should be fed a variety of live foods such as small fish and crustaceans. Caution needs to be exercised when feeding these fish, as they will readily bite the hand that feeds it.

Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Aggressive
Water Conditions: 76-82° F, KH 8-15, pH 6.8-7.4
Max. Size: 1' 3"
Color Form: gray
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Asia
Family: Belonidae

The Needle Nose Gar originates from the rivers, slack waters and ponds of Asia. They are a very long and slender fish that is mostly silver in color. Because of their body shape, they are able to produce very quick bursts of speed when in pursuit of prey. They have a very slender mouth that is filled with numerous small razor-like teeth.

A 70-gallon or larger aquarium that is well established is ideal for this species. Provide the Needle Nose Gar with a gravel substrate and plenty of rock for structure. There should be plenty of open swimming areas. A vicious predator, the Needle Nose Gar should only be housed with other more aggressive predacious fish of similar size. A tight fitting canopy is a must for this species, as they can generate great speeds and easily jump out of the aquarium.

The breeding habits of this species are unknown, as the Needle Nose Gar has yet to be spawned in the home aquarium.

The Needle Nose Gar is a carnivore and should be fed a variety of live foods such as small fish and crustaceans. Caution needs to be exercised when feeding these fish, as they will readily bite the hand that feeds it.

LOL, you can accuse me of "talking #107###" all you like, but after your post about your RTC, and 2 silver Aro's in a 4x4 tank thread, your reliability when it comes to large predatory fish is very low.

Back on the subject, the care sheet you just copied and pasted is for what fish exactly? Scientific name please.
There are two fish known as "Needlenose Gar". either of them shows how little you know about these fish other than some sales sheet from the internet.

The first Needlenose is "Xenentodon cancila". This is what the information you just posted is about. This fish is not actually a "Gar" at all. It is a form of Pike.
This is CLEARLY not what the OP's fish are. (Xenentodon cancila lack the ganoid scales of true Gar for one)

The second Needlenose is a true Gar fish. It is also one of the biggest, wild can reach up to 6ft+.
It has a very long snout, which the op's fish clearly doesn't.

So that leaves your "Shortnose" theory.
Shortnose can look VERY close to Florida gar, but one of the main giveaways is the snout length, shape (mainly from above) and the Florida having spots on it's snout that the Shortnose lacks.
Look at the OP's fish you will clearly see spotting on the snout. (if you can't see this, I am happy to mark it on the picture)

The body of a Shortnose will usually have much less patterning than a Spotted/Florida, and the Caudal has USUALY 1 or 2 large spots unlike the Florida/Spotted having many smaller spots.
The op's photo the patterning is very washed out most likely due to the flash being used, but I can see the patterning.

Here is the snout of a REAL Shortnose:

DM_Gar_Jaw.jpg

Note the lack of spotting, also note the longer snout length compared to the florida and the double row of teeth.

So make of it what you will, but don't accuse me of talking #107###. I have actually kept these fish many times in many of my very large Predatory fish tanks.
Can you say the same?

well this is a eazy way to tell......how long has he had thos fish cause needle nose gars only get from 12 to 15inchs in there hole life where a gater garr will be that size in about a year and keep growing in the wild till there 11 to 15feet in a tank or pond maybe 5feet depending on size of the tank
Where are you getting your info? It is not a needle nose gar (not a gar anyway) they look completely differernt! have you ever seen one in real life?
As said this is not a gator gar , its a florida gar and will do well to reach 2ft in aquaria but in a small tank like the one above it wont get that.

guys lets keep this a bit more civilized please otherwise ill have to close the topic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back