FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blurry_mind82

Reaction score
My gar fish.. :)
Can anyone can help to ID my Gar? :rolleyes:

111219221255.jpg

111219221304.jpg

Woah! That's awesome! How big is that tank, how big is that gar and how big is that pleco! Amazing. Truly stunning. Sorry can't help ID it.

Woah! That's awesome! How big is that tank, how big is that gar and how big is that pleco! Amazing. Truly stunning. Sorry can't help ID it.

Thanks.

Both of my Gar is about 11 inch and the pleco is 7 inch.
Currently they are in 4 feet tank and im planning to get a bigger one for them.

is it a spotted gar? I have a juvi one about 5 inches and although it seems relatively plain for one they seem to be the more commonly available
Beautiful fish and look stunning when bigger

Florida Gar.
That tank is waaaay too packed full of potential monsters.

Is that a paroon shark I see in there too?

I think Simonas is right and this is a spotted gar. Or a shortnose gar. I apologize for saying earlier that it was not a spotted gar. I was misinformed and apparently didnt know what a spotted gar was. Sorry to Simonas

I think Simonas is right and this is a spotted gar. Or a shortnose gar. I apologize for saying earlier that it was not a spotted gar. I was misinformed and apparently didnt know what a spotted gar was. Sorry to Simonas

Distance from tip of nose to gil plate suggests to me these are Florida Gar and not Spotted Gar.
(most Gar sold as "Spotted" are intact Florida.

looks like an alligator gar! my mom used to have one along with a lot more monster fish

my mom also had a monster sized oscar that we had to use a 200 gallon tank for (i think). i saw the tape of it, and it used to eat mice

No offence but i think its sillly and cruel keepin any of those fish i can see in that pic in anything less tan a walk through tunnel at a sea life centre. it is a spotted gar not that it matters because you should get rid of the poor fish, and that lemon fin brb or what ever it is

No offence but i think its sillly and cruel keepin any of those fish i can see in that pic in anything less tan a walk through tunnel at a sea life centre. it is a spotted gar not that it matters because you should get rid of the poor fish, and that lemon fin brb or what ever it is

Hi.
Agree with you about the tank size, but pictured fish is not a Spotted Gar, but a Florida Gar.
It's all in the snout to gill plate length.

oh come on lloyd, they're beautiful fish to have :X

tigers are beautiful to have so are pet urangutans. im sorry but keeping them is discaceful. they can cover such large distances and swim at such great speed in the wild. i would be ashamed to admit i would even want to keep one in any thing less than a massive lake

The Needle Nose Gar originates from the rivers, slack waters and ponds of Asia. They are a very long and slender fish that is mostly silver in color. Because of their body shape, they are able to produce very quick bursts of speed when in pursuit of prey. They have a very slender mouth that is filled with numerous small razor-like teeth.

A 70-gallon or larger aquarium that is well established is ideal for this species. Provide the Needle Nose Gar with a gravel substrate and plenty of rock for structure. There should be plenty of open swimming areas. A vicious predator, the Needle Nose Gar should only be housed with other more aggressive predacious fish of similar size. A tight fitting canopy is a must for this species, as they can generate great speeds and easily jump out of the aquarium

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back